Turning the supercharger on or off

As I grew up, there were various movies where the driver of the souped- up car had a blower that he could 'turn on' when he needs a little extra 'push'. I think the first one I saw was Mad Max (1979) but then all through the 1980s there were other examples, I think my favorite being "My Science Project".

Is this entirely a Hollywood Invention, or is there some historical reasoning behind this? I've never actually seen an example of a supercharger you can turn on or off in real life.

Thainx

Reply to
phaeton

Well the Hollywood version in Mad Max is a joke. IIRC it was a Roots style blower shown on a Holden. The problem is that it was a bare case with no internals.

However a Roots type unit could be set up to work like that the Toyota MR-2 from 88-89 had that system. It used a clutch on the unit with a bypass system the engine used while the supercharger was off. The Crossfire uses a similar system as well.

Use a Paxton style unit and you could do it even easier as it wouldn't need the bypass to operate, however it would have lag like a turbo due to the need to build pressure in the system.

Reply to
Steve W.

It was the Hot New Thing a hundred years ago:

Still pretty neat.

Reply to
AMuzi

SUPERCHARGERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

seriously, that pissed me off about Mad Max because the blower appeared to be a Roots-type (positive displacement) unit, so if you put a clutch on the blower drive to disengage it (and it'd far more likely be on the blower itself anyway than on the crank pulley; so you wouldn't see that dramatic close-up of the blower belt starting to turn after Mel Gibson hits the red candy-like button) the engine would shut down from lack of air as soon as you disengaged the blower, as the only air that could be drawn through a non-rotating Roots blower is the leakage past the seals.

I suppose it would be possible to do something similar to that with a Paxton-type (centrifugal) supercharger; in fact Studebaker did something sort of similar back in '57-58 with the variable ratio blower drive, but the supercharger was never disengaged (although the engine would have run fine with it disengaged.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

[...]

******* There used to be one that used a compressed gas cartridge or a fuel cartridge (dont remember exact details). Punch the button and you would get a few seconds of boost, but it was definitely not a full time unit. Used mostly by drag racers or street racers, I guess. Dont think it was ever too popular. I guess nitrous sprays are the modern solution to this problem.
Reply to
hls