"TORNADO" in the air intake "to try or not to try"

has anyone tried the "TORNADO" thing that goes in the intake hose and "swirls the air for better fuel milage and more horsepower" i want to try it, since i'm getting about 13 mpg, and gas prices are supposed to get up to $3.25 by the end of summer.

Reply to
bobbyg2004

The 'snake oil' folks are going to have a field day this summer! LOL!

If something like that worked, any of them, the makers would for sure have them in place from the factory.

Mike

bobbyg2004 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have a 455 Buick engine in the Jeepster, so I had to do something about the mileage. I have one of those whirlygigs, the whole fuel line covered in magnets, a ramscoop, fuel pressure regulator, coil transformer, wing, bug deflector, net tailgate, slick 50, prolong, teflon oil filter, synthetic oil in all the gear boxes, helium filled tires, Mequires 'racing wax' over primer, and splitfire plugs. Boy, what a mistake! I drain the tank, and can only go 50 miles or so before I have to drain it again. Most of this junk has been around since the teens; if it worked, manufacturers would use it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Your stereo probably has the dual-gauge Monster speaker cables too...

light gauge for the highs, and heavy for the lows...

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Paul, Don't do that.... I damn near tossed my lunch laughing so hard.

oh.. . my side hurts....

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

You probably just need a good tune-up. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

bobbyg2004 did pass the time by typing:

The "TORNADO" is a piece of garbage and provides no increase at all. I'll say that without fear or lawsuit because it's been checked on a engine dyno and as predicted didn't do a dang thing.

Watch the infomercial closely. I love the air spinny propeller thing. Watch as the scammer moves his hand over the hole and for a second the propeller spins. Then when he puts the tornado up there it spins like mad.

Oh.. must be flowing better..

Nope.

The little propeller down in that tube is bent so it will not rotate at all unless air comes at it from the side.

The other infomercial shows a coupler between two jugs swirling the water so it flows "more freely". Again pure sideshow. Try it yourself with an empty soda bottle. fill it up and turn it over. Drains slow as air gulps back in doesn't it? Now swirl it and see how fast it pours out. Why? Because you created a passage for air to flow in and replace the water that flows out. Max flow is obtained the same way one shotguns a beer. Open up the bottom and let the air in. :)

Now on to the air spacers with cute little grooves cut into them.

There are two schools on this and both are correct.

Hemholtz tuning. That has to do with the air mass held in the intake rail and the length of runners. The goal is to have the next air pulse reach the intake valve just as it opens. That essentially lowers the resistance of the intake rail to zero and does improve power but only across a very narrow RPM (compare the 4.0 intake runners between 93-96 and 97-99 and you will see equidistant tuned intakes. (a good mod if you don't mind working metal a bit)

Second school is they change the location of the throttle body, essentially changing the geometry of your fuel link. The end result is your TB is opened much earlier in the pedal press and you think it's giving you more boost. Same boost can be obtained by nailing a 1/2" block of wood to your foot.

Reply to
DougW

You will spend $80 on the tornado, after about 7 years it will have paid for itself in gas savings. How long do plan to keep your Jeep?

So far there is no gadget that saves you enough gas that it pays for itself within 5 years.

Until then, just drive and have fun. If you want to save money on gas, spend $1500 and get a used Chevy Metro.

Reply to
Mark12211

You are implying the piece of junk actually 'does something'!!!

LOL!

Mike

Mark12211 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It did make someone a lot of money. ;-)

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Anybody out there interested in buying my net tailgate?.. have no use for it anymore as the truck has been sold.. its a great fuel saver.. tried and tested too.. I put a gallon of gas in the old S10 and covered a good 600 yards extra using the net over the solid tailgate.. was a bummer walking home to get gas for the return trip tho..

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Jim85CJ

By what miracle of snake oil marketing would you expect "swirling" the air in the intake to increase gas mileage?

Watch out, if you install too many of those gas saving devices, you will need to stop every few hundred miles and drain the extra gas from your tank before it blows up.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11