Two space parking

I can understand owners of new vehicles parking across two spaces in a parking lot, so others will not ding or scratch finish when opening doors.

BUT- in my opinion these folks should park out on the end of the rows of spaces, NOT find the two closest adjacent spots. What do you guys think?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

i had a car i owned repainted once. the first few dings really hurt. after a while it doesn't matter any more. I have never had a new car. Some of these guys park off at the far end of the parking lot. then the clampetts roll into town and park their truck right next to them. damn hill billies.

Reply to
boxing

Some of those two space parkers are around here too.I think the cops should start handing out tickets to people who hog two (regular size) parking spaces. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Anyone doing this deserves to have their car keyed.

Reply to
Noozer

That, and their roof and hood lined with Peeps on a hot day.

Reply to
clifto

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

To me it would be common courtesy to park at the furthest reaches of the parking lot where no one ever goes.

Hogging two spots where everyone else parks is plain boorish selfishness.

Reply to
Tegger

They should have to park on the end of the rows so that they are only occupying one space and then are partially overlapping a no-parking area. The local parking patrol can then decide whether or not they assess a parking-in-a-no-parking-zone violation.

Otherwise, if they park in two spaces, and it is a paid parking lot, they should have to pay for two spaces. If they didn't pay for two spaces, then the vehicle should be cited or towed away as appropriate for the given lot, basically for occupying a space that was not paid for.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

About 35 years ago wife and 2 small children in our 1970 suburban went to a shopping center. When she came back to vehicle cars were parked on both sides so close that they just cleared the mirrors. No way wife could open either door. The 2 cars were pointed in opposite directions so the drivers could get out. Wife had to open tailgate and crawl over the seats to get into driver seat. She pulled out, loaded the boys and then left a note on each windshield IN LIPSTICK. Bet they had fun cleaning that off.

Reply to
Warren Weber

best answer so far.

Reply to
MG

I agree. If I wasn't so nice I'd key them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

;)

I once returned to my work van to find an angry driver unable to get her car out because I'd accidently blocked her in :P First thing I did was point out she didn't have a permit for the parking space and had forced me to park sticking out into the road. I did get my van kicked for that, but wasn't my property :)

I've also also had a pleasant experience with a parking warden who caught me red handed, he said "I don't mind you parking in the wrong direction, I don't mind you parking on yellow lines, but when you do both that's when I have a problem".

Reply to
nottoooily

I think people that drive old beaters should gang up on 2-space hogs and block the SOBs in whenever possible. Its just plain rude behavior to claim 2 spaces. I don't like my doors dinged either, so I find wide spaces, and I'm willing to walk further, but I WILL NOT occupy 2 spaces. And when I am in my old beater, I will go out of my way to park (legally) in the space next to a 2-space hog to block the idiot in.

Reply to
Steve

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I have seen many lots where new lines have been painted over old. And the new ones are always closer together.

Maybe so overall, but how do they compare in *footprint* to a very common "intermediate" sedan from the '60s? (think Galaxie.) The new pickups are smaller or the same, I'll bet.

Reply to
Tegger

Ha, PEEPS!!! That's priceless advice! Mmmm, there's nothing like a BMW X5 Easter smore.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Exactly. A lot of people make a big fuss about these new huge SUVs, but the reality is that they are not any bigger or heavier than the station wagons of the 60s and 70s, just taller. Those "real" station wagons simply aren't available any more so the people who used to buy them now have to buy SUVs to get the same effective vehicle. Of course the SUV bashing eco-loons don't want to admit that.

Reply to
Pete C.

The only time I take up more than one space is when the spaces are marked too small, which is most common in the length direction where I need 22'. I did once have to take up six spaces at a hotel, but I had a

24' trailer in tow for 50' OAL and across six spaces was the only way to park and not block lanes.
Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

I just did a bit of very interesting research.

Here are dimensions for two vehicles that served much the same market,

58 years apart.

1949 Ford Fordor

---------------- Wheelbase: 114" Overall length: 196" Overall width: 72" Overall height: 63" Engine: 239 cu in V8; 226 cu in I6

2007 Ford Explorer

------------------ Wheelbase: 114" Overall length: 193" Overall width: 73" Overall height: 73" Engine: 280 cu in V8

Look at that. The only major difference is the height. The footprints are identical.

I cannot locate the curb weight of the '49 Fordor. The Explorer's is

4,706 lbs. Statistics from other cars around 1950 suggest the Explorer is probably at least 1,000 lbs heavier than the '49 Fordor.
Reply to
Tegger

I suspect you're right. My '62 Lark (a "compact," can you believe it? The thing was like a limo inside...) weighed in about 3300 lbs. and that was with that big chunk of Studie V-8 up front.

You can't blame all the porkification on simply being an SUV though; federally mandated equipment has added some weight as well.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had a '51 Ford tudoor. Its weight was around 3200 lbs.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota