Unusual Brake Problem

I got into my 99 Mazda Protege and backed out of my driveway. Creeping back slowly I applied the brakes and the car took about 4 feet to stop when it should of pretty much stopped on a dime. I went forward and back...same thing--it took a long time to stop at normal pedal pressure. The pedal is NOT down to the floor, nor is it spongy. The fluid level is fine, and there is no evidence of leaks at each wheel.

I took the car out to the street and after about 5-10 minutes of testing the brakes, it began to improve and finally seemed normal. I will check it again later today, but I've never in my 40 years of owning cars seen a brake problem like this one. Any ideas? thanks

Reply to
mnpress

Have you washed the car before? Maybe some fluids at the discs. I perceived something like that after leaving the car wash.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

no, I didn't wash the car and I didn't drive in any puddles etc

Reply to
MNP

Could be a brake booster problem.

That would be a problem with the booster itself, or a problem getting vacuum to the booster.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp