Using distilled water in the radiator?

jim beam wrote in news:j82h04$5pe$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

"Freedom" is inextricably bound-up with "property".

You do not have "freedom" with my property and I can't make free with yours. I think you would very much object if I came over to your place and spray-painted slogans or profanity all over your car.

Reply to
Tegger

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yup. It's 99.99% crap and 0.01% Toyotas. I regret to admit that I had some small hand in that decline. I am sorry to have contributed to that.

They are now in the moderated Yahoo group I help moderate. They left Usenet specifically because of the anarchy.

Yes. Not sure why the politics never quite "took" there.

And you'll notice the Web forums are virtually spam-free...

Reply to
Tegger

environment:

killfiling them

I have heard people say that there is a problem with spam but the newsgroups seem pretty clear of that these days. I assume it's because my NG server has better filters than yours? OTOH, my servers have been giving such spotty service that it'll probably drive me to Google Groups.

Reply to
dsi1

jim beam wrote in news:j82naa$idq$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

This is interesting.

You have read and processed the comments from others regarding your online conduct, and have synthesized your own interpretation of those comments. And that personal interpretation is /highly/ significant. Is there a hint of...guilt...lurking in there?

You have very much of value to contribute to online discussions, but it's greatly polluted by your belligerent attitide. You cannot /possibly/ be like this in real-life: You'd be completely unemployable and unfriendable.

It's like you're trying to be an online avatar of Ayn Rand's Howard Roark. Roark was an unrealistic character, and so is your online persona.

Reply to
Tegger

no it's not.

that's not what i'm talking about at all. that's why i said anyone calling it "anarchy" doesn't understand. the constitutional foundation that is the phrase "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" makes no mention of property nor of disorder.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:j84ul4$j62$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Oh yes it is. 100%. Maybe even more than that.

Nor does it mention /you/ being able to make free with /my/ property, or vice-versa.

Say, I think I'll steal your car. That would certainly enhance my liberty and happiness, especially after I leave it parked in a Fire Lane. Are you OK with that?

I also think I'll go stand on the sidewalk in front of your house holding a sign that says "jim beam buggers small boys". My liberty and happiness would increase exponentially! Are you OK with that? Remember, property does not matter!

Reply to
Tegger

are you perhaps responding to some other person's point? because if that's supposed to be regarding the word "freedom", as in , that is one of the most bizarre comments i've ever seen

dude, i think we should get back to this discussion some other time - you're clearly not on planet earth right now.

Reply to
jim beam

Getting back to the OP's question about distilled water:

I change the coolant every 2 to 3 years.

What I do is I drain as much out as possible the first time, and refill it with distilled water. I drive it on my errands and when it cools, I drain it again and refill it with distilled water. The next day I drive it again and when I get back home I drain it one final time, put in a gallon of straight anti-freeze (8 quart capacity system) and a gallon of distilled water. I figure draining it 3 times gets rid of at least 90% of the old coolant. Three gallons of distilled water at 89 cents per gallon isn't a bad investment, considering it may keep the radiator from clogging up prematurely.

Reply to
Josh

Josh wrote in news:3a887dd5-5b91-44e6-9b79- snipped-for-privacy@31g2000prp.googlegroups.com:

What you're doing is entirely unnecessary, and is probably causing damage to boot. The system is not meant to run without coolant mixed with the water.

Removal of the rad- and block-drains already gets rid of 90% of the old coolant; running tap-water through (and draining immediately) gets rid of most of the remainder.

Rad-tube blockage is caused by impurities in tap-water, not by traces of old coolant.

Reply to
Tegger

there is no "probably" - it causes less damage than sluicing with tap-water because it contains no electrolytes.

distilled water is very non-reactive. for the purposes of flushing, it's better to use that than it is the tap-water you're advocating.

right, things like the cabin heater never drain, they can only be diluted.

no, it's better to use distilled. the impurities in tap-water get adsorbed onto the surfaces they touch. just sluice through distilled at

99 cents per.

they get blocked by corrosion product, not water impurities. even if tap-water were loaded, it still wouldn't contain enough impurity to block. when corrosion product circulates the system however, especially that resulting from a cast iron block with aluminum head without sufficient corrosion inhibitor, there is a /lot/ of muck to circulate.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:j897vp$g4h$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Remember he's bringing plain water up to operating temperature. There is flash-steam at the head/cylinder interface, which damages the fire ring, and there accelerated corrosion (heat+oxygen+iron).

It does drain. The cabin heater core is mounted on an upwards slope, with the hoses at the bottom.

Over the years it certainly does. I've seen so many rads with hard white deposits around the tube openings. That's /rock/ in there, not corrosion. And that's from tap water, not corrosion.

Reply to
Tegger

the thermostat opens at 86°C. that's hot, but not "flash steam" territory. and you don't get steam inside a pressurized system like this unless it's empty. in which case, "at the interface" is simply nonsense.

not in an aluminum engine.

besides, you're just trying to obfuscate - tap-water makes "accelerated corrosion" worse, not better.

not on my car it's not, it's mounted with the matrix at the bottom and the inlet/outlet pipes at the top. and that's far from an unique configuration.

what color is aluminum oxide tegger? what other products might be present tegger? what does antifreeze contain that causes an oxidation reaction tegger? and when do you stop getting on your high horse and presenting your presumptions as fact tegger?

Reply to
jim beam

I killed-filed Beam a couple years ago and agree completely with what you wrote.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just did that too.

I really, really do not understand his belligerence; I am tired of constantly being on the defensive against his assaults. It is possible to correct and educate someone without excoriating him, but beam appears not to care for that.

Reply to
Tegger

somehow, i don't think you two are going to learn too much from each other.

um, who was it who decided to take issue with the word "freedom", then get belligerent and start spouting nonsensical stuff like:

"I also think I'll go stand on the sidewalk in front of your house holding a sign that says "jim beam buggers small boys". My liberty and happiness would increase exponentially! Are you OK with that? Remember, property does not matter!".

go ahead and exercise your freedom tegger. real freedom that is, not your made-up, paranoid, and belligerent version of it.

Reply to
jim beam