UTI Graduates?

I'm considering persuing a second career in auto mechanics, and I would like to hear from any UTI graduates about their experience. I'm fairly comfortable working on an older small block Chevy, and even though I think I have a fairly decent grasp on alot of the theory that goes into automotive mechanics, thats about the extent of my expereince. I've seen the infomercials and ads in the car mags and UTI seems like it might be a good way to go to learn and get into the field. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Reply to
Mikey

UTI has a good reputation. It also has LOTS of different programs available from Hot Rod U to the manufacturers training programs.

One other thing you might want to consider is your local community college. Most have a certificate program (automotive classes only plus maybe an english class or two) if you don't want to go for the full 2 years (or have absolutely no need for the additional academic courses). I would recommend going for the 2 year degree. It will give you a leg up immediately after graduation and can serve as a springboard to other opportunities in the field (you may find you don't want to turn wrenches for the rest of your life).

Reply to
saeengineer

UTI has a good reputation. It also has LOTS of different programs available from Hot Rod U to the manufacturers training programs.

One other thing you might want to consider is your local community college. Most have a certificate program (automotive classes only plus maybe an english class or two) if you don't want to go for the full 2 years (or have absolutely no need for the additional academic courses). I would recommend going for the 2 year degree. It will give you a leg up immediately after graduation and can serve as a springboard to other opportunities in the field (you may find you don't want to turn wrenches for the rest of your life).

Thats part of the problem, there is no nearby community college that offers automotive classes. Our local vocational school has become a "technology center" and offers only Cisco and technology courses. Been that route, I'm a certified PC technician w/ 6 years working experience in the field and can't find a job for the life of me. There just aren't any technology jobs to be had here anymore, and it doesn't look like the future will bring any, so I'm forced to change careers. So in my case, the only other skills I have (as meager as they might be) are cars and music, and there are already a lot of out of work musicians here, so that leaves cars. I'm not too old or too proud to be hired as a oil changer and work my way up, but even that doesn't help, as the places around here aren't hiring or keeping anybody but the most essential technicians. So you can see I'm kind of in a dilemma and I'm looking for anyway out of it. Thanks for your response.

Reply to
Mikey