vehicle speed signal F250 diesel

I need a digital signal for the vehicle speed on an F250. The vehicle speed sensor is located in the differential. I have put the sensor on an oscilloscope and the signal is an AC sine wave that increases is frequency, amplitude, and reference voltage as speed increases. I need a 0-5V digital signal. I suspect that the ECM conditions this signal and probably outputs a corresponding digital signal for use by other devices (speedo, odometer, cruise control, and engine controls). Obviously if the ECM is already doing this work, I'd rather use this signal than condition the analog signal coming from the VCC. Any suggestions on where to look?

Chris

Reply to
chrisvillar

Factory service manual perhaps? I haven't looked at a Ford manual, but the two Chev. service manual sets I've gotten for my truck have had this information so I would expect the Ford manuals would as well. If you have good connections at a Ford dealer you might be able to look at their manual for the info, otherwise the proper manual set is usually around $100.

Another option would be to simply probe the harness to the cruise control unit, presuming it's a self contained unit like I see on the GM stuff. Only a small number of lines going to it, and the speed reference signal should be easy to isolate if you've got a scope as every other signal to the unit should be pretty static i.e. power, ground, brake switch, clutch switch, decel, accel, etc.

Whatever you do, be sure to properly buffer and protect the signal when you tap it so you don't risk damage or malfunction to the ECM or other units that use the signal. There have been a few good articles on signal conditioning in an auto environment in Circuit Cellar in recent years.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.