And the Reason

why I wont buy that 1990 Chevrolet RV van from a neighbor who lives in that house behind me is because I dont know anything about throttle body fuel injection,,,, I think I am too old to learn either.Carburetors, (simple one barell and two barrel carburetors, I know how to work on and get them going) It is a nice looking 1990 Chevrolet RV van, but not for me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yeah, right. I think you said you were 61?

Reply to
cavedweller

I am sixty six.I am not going to learn about throttle body or otherwise fuel injection gas engines, now or ever.My 1962 four cylinder Mercedes Benz diesel engine has fuel injection.No problem for me is that MB engine. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Reply to
Runk

I am old/young,,, Agewise, I date from back around November 5,1941.I am too old a dog to get screwed by a kitty. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Im 67. Im older and fartier than either of you. But FI doesnt scare me. Nothing much else does either.

Reply to
HLS

If you spent as much time learning fuel injection as you did telling us that you won't buy a vehicle with fuel injection you would already be an expert.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I think FI is simpler than a carb. It's just a solenoid valve, power it to spray fuel.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've synchronized dual downdraft carbs. FI systems scare me sure, but not as much as anything made by Solex.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

How about synchronizing dual GM throttle body injectors like the

84 Corvette had?

Still have the slack tube manometer around here somewhere...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Some people die long before they get anywhere near a grave.

Been meaning to e-mail you one of these days...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I remember those dual throttle body Corvettes ! Not one of GM's better ideas.

Reply to
Mike

Which brings up a question of mine.... On some of the GM 3800 applications (in this case a 1990 Reatta), a waveform is generated by the ECM to fire the injectors under starting conditions. This will not happen if the quirky security system (key resistance reader) is feeling obstinant at the time.

Once the car is started, the ECM takes over the function of the fuel injection system controlled by operating parameters.

Not much is available, AFAIK, about the nature of that startup waveform, in case a person would like to bypass the security system totally. (The electronics in these cars is excessive and subject to multiple types of glitches)

Does anyone know if that waveform is a simple set of pulses, or is it more complicated?

Reply to
HLS

I would expect it's just pulses as I don't know of any reason you'd want to send anything but a basic PWM waveform to a fuel injector. If you have a sample vehicle and a scope with storage capability you should be able to identify it pretty readily. Since you're talking a low bandwidth signal, there are pen style USB digital storage scopes you can use with a laptop that are quite inexpensive.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ask your local auto thief. As soon as car manufacturers come out with a new security system, the guys stealing cars come out with a workaround within a year or so. It's a win-win situation for both of them. The only people who lose are the car owners...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I had asked Ian over on alt.autos.gm, but his dealership literature didnt say much about it either.

This is a really nice looking little two seater, but the electrical problems that are incumbent with this sort of design sometimes outweigh the pleasures. When it is running well, it is a fine ride. Otherwise, you walk home.

Reply to
HLS

Ditto for your bitching. Originally, I never saw his rambling because I filter out all webtv posts. Thanks for reposting his ramblings along with your amazing insights. not.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The OP here is probably one of those old guys with nothing but time on his hands and maybe he's lonely and this is the way he communicates. I don't know. If you look frequently at the group, you'll notice he chimes in often with stories and anecdotes that have little if anything to do with the topic being discussed.

I've heard that there are none so ignorant as they who will not learn. This seems to apply to this fella. Modern FI is not more complicated than carbs - far from it - especially TBI. Trying working on a late '70's Fomoco variable venturi carb. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I'm glad I learned how to set dwell on a set of points, adjust float levels and mixture controls, etc. But I wouldn't want to go back there.

Reply to
Lhead

I am sort of looking around for a 1957 Ford 500 2 door hard top car in decent condition at a cheap enough price to suit me, a car like that I can work on and around with.I prefer one that is black with the gold trim looking thingys on it.No rust buckets, I tote my little pocket mgnet with me everywhere. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Current bid: US $7,358.00 Reserve not met

price: US $13,500.00 Get low monthly payments

begin 666 bin_15x54.gif M1TE&.#EA-@`/`-4``/G?W^;FYM_?W_7/S]C8V/*_O\S,S.^OK[Z^ONR?G[*R MLJFIJ>F/CZ6EI>: @.5_?YF9F>)O;^)P!PB`&CP'8+>2(5%TY*$$:,9 @A"Q]_0A:!(AH, M@Q8'@VP,`P`/`%D;%P8-(08*'2(*?+4&'TJ0'R$992 HP]'-FR@HZ!"3A%B$(0B'( XP& MA4*>!KQC MED`Z"&;2@(`#L` ` end

Reply to
wstiefer