Warranty Work At Different Dealership Than Where Purchased Quest. ?

Hello:

Will be buying a new Honda; haven't bought any new car for many, many, years.

Looks like I'll be purchasing it new from a car dealership NOT in the same area as I would like to have it serviced (due to price differential).

Are there any (potential) problems, caveats, etc. involved in buying at one dealership, and having new warranty work done at a different dealership ?

I imagine that Honda pays the same to any dealer servicing the car's new warranty, but not sure how it works, and thought I'd ask.

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

That's BS from a dealer and illegal under Federal Law.

Perhaps. Allegedly there's no "dealer good will" since you bought somewhere else. However, from my time in the industry, the Sales and Service departments might as well have been different companies - so it really doesn't matter.

Not true. The labor rate charged to customers in some dealers is higher than what the factory will pay. Also, the flat rate books clearly state two hourly charges - one for customers and one for warranty work - generally half of what the customer time is.

I agree that it's bad, but *no* dealer wants warranty work. The small dealers know that service quality sells more cars _and_ brings you back later for profitable "customer" work so some go out of their way to make your life pleasant. But, the dealer (service dept) loses too ways with warranty work. First, they charge the factory a lower rate. Second, they charge the factory less hours. On a per bay basis, they put less hours through a bay. That means that the dealer gets less, the mechanic gets less, no one is happy. The only thing worse is warranty work that comes back again - so there is some incentive to do it right.

Reply to
Jimmy