Warranty/Service Work Location For New Car Question

Hello,

Will be purchasing a new car probably from a dealer not in my immediate area as their price is much better.

However, there is a dealer very close to me that I would like to use for the warranty service, etc. They won't match the other dealers quote.

Is there, in general, any "problem" in doing so ?

Would they each make the same $ back from the mfg., such that it doesn't matter to their service departments where you originally bought the vehicle ?

Or,...?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

be carefull what you buy. In my area, the Honda dealer does not do very good work and charges too much. The Toyota dealer is better. I think the dealer should do warranty work on the car regardless where you bought it. Maybe give them a call and ask them.

Reply to
boxing

Well, The local dealer would be able to take care of any warranty problems BUT they may put you at the bottom of the list for repair work. Sounds petty but it happens.

Reply to
Steve W.

snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net wrote in news:a0fc6f0d-f7ef-43fc-bbf0- snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

don`t know about honda, but for Ford if you buy it within, I think it is

60 miles, the closer dealer can refuse to do the warrenty work and you will have to return to the purchacing dealer. KB
Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Basically you can't have your cake and eat it too. The dealer you buy from makes more money on the sale than on warranty work. As a former dealership owner I would put customers that bought from me ahead of someone that bought somewhere else, unless they were traveling and need service. Simple customer service.

ch

Reply to
golden oldie

No wonder the Ford dealers keep going out of business around here ... The bigger Honda dealers don't seem to do that.

Other than warranty work & recalls I never go near the dealer for maintenance work.

Reply to
E Meyer

I havent heard that before, are you sure? Cant imagine a dealership turning work away...

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

It was true 20 years ago when I worked at a Ford dealership, though the distance was 35 miles.

Warranty pays 30% less than customer pay, if the shop is busy, it makes perfect sense.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"Steve W." wrote in news:g7cn36$efj$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Petty??????? you gave them nothing at the sale, and it costs them to do warrenty work! It is good business. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

True. BUT from a customers point of view it looks like the dealer is being petty, They don't bother to think about what it costs to operate the dealership. They ONLY look at the price of the vehicle, then bitch because the "cheaper" dealer isn't convenient. They don't look at the sale as taking money away from the local dealer.

Reply to
Steve W.

Never heard of a problem buying a car at one dealer and getting your warranty work performed at another. That being said, in my area - No. Cal., I have had terrible experiences trying to get warranty work done at any dealership. They simply don't want to acknowledge that problems exist - probably because service departments make less $$ from warranty covered repairs than from non-warranty repairs.

In my experience the best way to get your warranty work performed is - make an appointment at a time when the service department is not busy (eg: winter season, Christmas time, etc) - have TSB (if available) in hand and show it to your service advisor. - provide other problem documentation (if possible) (eg: recording of strange noises, video of drivability problems, etc.) - although I don't do this, I think that if you have regular oil changes and regular maintenance work done there then they are more likely to want to keep you happy by performing your warranty work.

It has always taken me at least three trips to any service dept for any given problem before they would admit to / fix it. Good luck, M.Paul

Reply to
M.Paul