"Traction Control" Questions, Please

Hello:

This is a bit embarrasing, but I have a '97 Buick LeSabre, and for the first time I noticed that it has a Traction Control button. The manual isn't too good on explaining it. Have never used it.

Exactly what is Traction Control, and where, and when, would it be utilized ?

My son is about to buy a new Accord. They also have Traction Control as an option. Important to get ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Mike Walsh

-snip-

*If* the traction control on your Buick is the same as the Traction Control on my 2001 Impala---- If one tire starts to spin, the other tire becomes the 'drive' tire. [Never both at once, unfortunately]

I have found 2 instances where I needed to turn it off.

  1. - If both tires are on ice & you need to accelerate [like to get up my driveway], then the time it takes for the tires to pass off who is going to be the drive tire causes you to slow down & you'll never make it up my driveway. Traction control off, steady acceleration & you've got a chance.
  2. If you are trying to rock your way out of a snowbank. Again, there is too much of a delay between tires. This might be a GM or Impala or individual quirk, but it fits with why the manual says they installed that button in the first place.

Despite it not working when you apparently need it the most-- if the Accord's is like the Impala's, I'd say it has some value if you're in snow country. Between front wheel drive, good mud&snows, ABS brakes & Traction Control, they've taken nearly all the fun out of driving in a snowstorm.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht