where is this humming noise come from

The noise comes and goes, but now often I can hear it.

Where does it come from? Here are some info that could help:

1) It usually hum when it's cold 2) It hums when the car is standing still (transmission in drive, but I brake to stop). 3) The humming noise changes a bit (louder/softer) when I turn the steering a little. Usually, from straight steering, if I turn over, the noise get louder, even though the car is not even moving (engine runs, transmission in drive, but brake on).

I originally thought it's the the belt. However, I don't see the connect between the belt and the steering wheel. I thought it maybe the transmission (something in there), but put to park and the noise is still there. One day, I heard a quick hissing noise, and then the humming when away. I originally thought it's so bad that I have to have it fixed, then when the noise go away, I thought maybe something stuck and now released. However, this noise came back.

So, if not the belt, it can also be the gas pump. I had a car with noise, then the pump went bad. However, I still don't know how the steering has something to do with this.

So, could it be the steering pump (is there such a thing?), like the oil pump for the steering?

I don't know. What do you think?

Reply to
vdu

vdu-is it you humming or a vehicle. If it is a vehicle does it have a year, make, model, engine size. If its you humming, maybe you could join a band. jp

vdu wrote:

Reply to
jerry

:-).

I didn't put down the info because thinking the problem is more generic. But you're right. The more info, the better to diagnose the problem. Here they are:

Chrysler, Town & Country. 2003. 3.8L.

Look> vdu-is it you humming or a vehicle. If it is a vehicle does it have a

Reply to
vdu

vdu-sorry about my earlier response-didn't want to sound like a wise

*^# but...some makes and models come with their certain glitches, quirky issues. I myself specialize in Chevrolet Blazers and thought that if yours was one of these-that may have prompted a certain response. Anywho....good luck with your issue! Merry Christmas!(not politically correct but...) snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com! ps as to your problem....when it makes this noise, raise the hood and try to locate the noise. Possibly taking a 3 foot section of rubber hose(or equiv.) and carefully listen to find the source of the noise. Sounds like your on the right track but could be the fuel pump also which will be in the gas tank but your sound chase will end up there! Good luck...power steering pump sounds like a good possibility!

vdu wrote:

Reply to
jerry