VW scirocco Hissing noise from engine

Hi

My GTII 1992 Scirocco is making a hissing noise when running. My guess is that it's something to do with the water pump or fan belt region. it is not a slipping fan belt.

does anyone recognise this sound?

Reply to
brian

....................I can't hear a thing.

Sorry :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

A snake !! :-)

Reply to
Andy

How good are you at onomatopaea? :o)

Possibly an air leak (servo gone? disconnected vacuum hose? hole in a pipe?) If it's coming from the fan belt area, maybe a fan or timing belt running on its casing somewhere.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Also sprach "Carl Bowman" :-

You filthy swine - that's an outrageous suggestion.

Reply to
Guy King

:o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

too much detail. I'd second the dead brake servo/leaky induction suggestion. Use a piece of tubing with one end in your ear and try to locate the source of the hissing.

Reply to
jeremy

good idea. i'll see if i can find a piece of tubing. cheers

Reply to
brian