Who's BRILLIANT Idea Was This?!... Fuel Filter Location

In the 2006.5-2010 Kia Optima, the fuel filter is INSIDE OF THE FUEL TANK, which must be drained & dropped in order to replace, first at the 30k mile interval.

I'm up here, at 43k+ miles, still starts and acclerates okay, but I suspect acceleration has decreased so slowly over time I've forgotten how quickly it used to jump off the line.

The service tech at the Valvoline where I get oil, etc done, said, "As long as you don't smell gas, and the car isn't always stalling, you're fine."

Do you *think* I should seek a second opinion? And what the F&~# is the fuel filter doing in there anyway?!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There should be an access hatch in the trunk. My 2006 Kia has never needed a filter or pump.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

It says that? In the maintenance schedule in your owners manual? IME in-tank filters are not maintenance items.

It's not just your Kia that is like that, btw.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Walsh:

That's what Valvoline instant oil change said. Guess I should get to know my car a little better on my own!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

If the fuel filter was clogged and starving the engine of needed fuel your check engine light would come on because the sensors would detect a too lean condition. No need to worry IMHO.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher