whoever did this is lucky...

...that there wasn't a failure...

late model Charger R/T, came in with complaint of noise when turning steeri ng wheel. Only happened in cold weather according to owner, verbal descrip tion indicated hydraulic problem. suggested changing fluid and seeing what happened from there as fluid looked opaque and odd. Owner was going to ta ke car to another shop as previous shop had supposedly already performed P/ S flush. Car made noise while backing out of bay, definitely suspension no t hydraulic. Reracked car, stethoscope located noise to upper ball joint o n driver's side. still tight but very noisy, but only with weight on suspe nsion. But there was no nut on ball joint... was really confused... then I figured it out.

The original nut on that ball joint stud was a flanged, self locking nut. At some point in the past someone had installed some larger-diameter (e.g. "donk") wheels/tires on the car, found the tire tread hit the upper ball jo int nut, so installer ground the nut and shaft down until there was suffici ent tire clearance. Which left only the flange of the original nut behind, maybe 3/16" thick...! I doubt that is recommended thread engagement for a 12mm stud. Then later on original style wheels/tires were installed leavi ng behind no evidence... save for the ground down ball joint nuts.

Customer declined repair :/

Every time I think "nobody could be that stupid" I'm apparently proven wron g.

nate

Reply to
N8N