MKII jetta Wheel Bearing

Been told I need to change my wheel bearing. Bit skint at the moment so I'm not exactly rushing to get it done! What I need to know is

1) Are we talking HUGE catastrophy if I carry on driving even though its make some grinding type noises when I turn? 2) Is it a hard job? I have SOME skill in that dept so could i attempt it?

Cheers in advance

Reply to
Ade

  1. What is a MKII?
  2. Rear wheel bearings are typically pretty easy relatively, except pressing a bearing race into place. If you know somebody with a press, it would save a lot of work. Front are so easy IMHO.
Reply to
Tom's VR6

Ade wrote: : Been told I need to change my wheel bearing. Bit skint at the moment so : I'm not exactly rushing to get it done! What I need to know is : 1) Are we talking HUGE catastrophy if I carry on driving even though its : make some grinding type noises when I turn? : 2) Is it a hard job? I have SOME skill in that dept so could i attempt it?

: Cheers in advance

I paid to have mine done, but tolerance for pain might be higher, grinding wasn't the sound I heard though, you might have a brake issue (see the "Noise" thread for my story).

One day I was on the local interstate highway driving to work... about 60mph in that area, there was a older caprice 2 lanes over... not exactly sure what happened, but suddenly there was a thump, a shower of sparks and a wheel bouncing down the road ahead of his car... course his speed slowed quite quickly as his brake drum or rotor hit the ground and then his car started spinning...

I slowed down watching the wheel bounce past me (this happened on a curve so the wheel went right in front of me) and the semi behind me started honking... second time I've seen stray wheels on the expressway (the other time a semi drove over a saturn in the lane next to it, but this one wasn't a multi-car accident).... I've always viewed bearing and ball joint issues as serious....

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing