Why is Pennzoil and QState SOOOOOO much more expensive than the competing gear oils?

I'm scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing here.

For my various manual transmissions I prefer a no-compromise pure GL-4 lubricant. Not a GL5 and probalby not even a GL4/5 - just good old fashioned plain GL4.

Well dont' get me started on how hard it is to find GL4 but briefly here's what I found:

StaLube (hard to find but NAPA sometimes has it or can order it) GL4

85W90 conventional $3/qt

Redline MT 75W90 GL4 - (nobody sells locally but can be readily mail ordered) $8 or so I think plus shipping.

Well Pennz and Quaker also make a 75W90 GL4 and it's synthetic no less. Nobody sells it mail order, online and forget about local retail parts houses. Found one distributor that has a case. Try almost $200 for 12 bottles?!? What the #### is this stuff made of?! And that was no joke either - I saw on another bulletin board for oils that 2 other guys saw the same prices after they finally found it.

Never thought I'd see the day that redline would be the 'cheap stuff'. Or for that matter the 'easy to find' stuff.

So is this stuff liquid gold or is Penn and Quaker just out on a reality break???

(No I don't know what they charge for their regular non-synthetic GL4

- nobody ever had any so gave up on that one)

Reply to
foobar

| |I'm scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing here. | |For my various manual transmissions I prefer a no-compromise pure GL-4 |lubricant. Not a GL5 and probalby not even a GL4/5 - just good old |fashioned plain GL4. | |Well dont' get me started on how hard it is to find GL4 but briefly |here's what I found: | |StaLube (hard to find but NAPA sometimes has it or can order it) GL4 |85W90 conventional $3/qt | |Redline MT 75W90 GL4 - (nobody sells locally but can be readily mail |ordered) $8 or so I think plus shipping. | |Well Pennz and Quaker also make a 75W90 GL4 and it's synthetic no |less. Nobody sells it mail order, online and forget about local retail |parts houses. Found one distributor that has a case. Try almost $200 |for 12 bottles?!? What the #### is this stuff made of?! And that was |no joke either - I saw on another bulletin board for oils that 2 other |guys saw the same prices after they finally found it. | |Never thought I'd see the day that redline would be the 'cheap stuff'. |Or for that matter the 'easy to find' stuff. | |So is this stuff liquid gold or is Penn and Quaker just out on a |reality break??? | |(No I don't know what they charge for their regular non-synthetic GL4 |- nobody ever had any so gave up on that one)

That would be Pennzoil #56076, which costs us $12.02/qt wholesale. Also available is #21176 GearPlus 80w-90 GL-4 at $1.89/qt.

Valvoline offers GL-4 only in 5-gallon pail.

Good luck Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

$12 Wholesale? Must be liquid gold. Well at least they named it appropriately when they called it "ULTRA Synthetic" no? Actually maybe they should call it Ultra Ultra :)

Thanks for the insights. The conventional 80W90 price sounds about right and is competitive.

Reply to
foobar