Oil: sulphur content question

Hi everyone,

I'm going to do a service on my Mazda 626 now that it has been fixed up. I want to do gearbox oil as part of this but, as with everything to do with this car so far, this doesn't sound as straightforward as it might be.

The Hanynes manual specifies 75w90 for the 5-speed manual box - no problem. Then I looked online (just to get a cheap price on the oil due to my location) and found the oft-repeated wisdom that a API GL5 spec oil shouldn't be used in these boxes as they contain brass. Apparently the GL5 oils tend to eat brass rather rapidly (due to sulphur content?) Anyway, the solution was to go for a GL4 oil.

The thing is, I can't find a GL4 oil which isn't GL5 as well and I'm worried about this sulphur thing. I don't want to break the gearbox. The Castrol site specifies Syntrax Universal for this car (which is apparently rated to all GL levels.) But it's quite expensive.

I phoned the local Mazda dealer today and they apparently use Ford oil

- Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (FINIS code 1045737), cost is =A310.77 per litre. There's precious little information about what spec this stuff is, other than that it is 'honey coloured' and is apparently 75w90, but especially designed for cars that require a GL4 oil.

Now, I'll pay that sort of price for the oil if I have to but I was wondering if anyone knows a suitable GL4 oil for less that I can buy online. Also, is this sulphur content thing a real issue or am I being led up the garden path?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
EvB

I'm going to do a service on my Mazda 626 now that it has been fixed up. I want to do gearbox oil as part of this but, as with everything to do with this car so far, this doesn't sound as straightforward as it might be.

How often does anyone change their gearbox oil?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I couldn't care less how often 'anyone' does it. I want to do it in this case for good reason.

What on earth is the point of your contribution?

Reply to
EvB

There is no point in trying to hunt around for a low price on an item that you are never likely to change again, just buy the right stuff and change it, it is different if you need it every few months, then it is worth shopping around.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I couldn't care less how often 'anyone' does it. I want to do it in this case for good reason.

What on earth is the point of your contribution?

So sorry. I didn't know you would take offence. I was simply suggesting that this operation is not normally undertaken very often. This might save you money, if you did not know that. But I now see that I was wrong.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham