Will "cupped" tires wear back to normal if bad shocks are replaced?

Turns out I have bad shocks, and my tires are cupped pretty bad on the inside. "Pretty bad" means they are very noisy and at higher speeds the vehicle becomes a little unstable (probably exacerbated by the bad shocks).

So if I were to replace all 4 shocks, check the alignment, and continue to rotate the tires regularly, will they get any better?

Or are they now ruined?

Thanks.

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

Pretty much what you have is what you will have.

Reply to
Steve W.

Cupped tires will not ever wear back to normal, rubber is rubber.Those tires will do nothing but continue to wear on down. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Only hope is to have the tires trued. True, it may shave much *good tread*, but ultimately you should get more total miles of service--that is

*IF* the cups have not cupped so deeply that it would take truing too close to the wear bars. Very much similar to turning a rotor to remove grooves, completely--may be better to leave a portion of that groove. One difference, tho', the remaining portion of a trimmed flat spot usually will immediately begin to wear flatter-and-deeper! s *One note to add: I have used in the past a buffing method of truing tires, which in my opinion is superior to traditional "blade-truing". Two reasons: one is the buffing wheel tends to give a much better continuous removal pattern than a blade, just by nature. Second is how often have you seen the tech set up the blade-truer to properly follow the true profile of the tire and allow it to self-power, as intended by its mfg? Many if not most approach the tire w/the truer, spin the tire, and then manually crank the depth of cut AND the contour they deem appropriate AND the speed of travel across the tread--this contour continuously variable both in speed of "crank-across" and perceived profile: must be they imagine it to be faster. Doing so could result in a rough, huge, screw thread around the circumference!*
Reply to
sdlomi2

....and not only that, the pounding will destroy your wheel bearings, if you don't correct the problem soon enough

Reply to
BobJ

ot ever wear back to normal, rubber is rubber.Those

_____________ True dat!!

True dem tahrs in da RECYCLIN' DUMPSTEH!!

Truin' tahs is da dumbist thing ahh heared since that son o' George got in the Whaat-House!!!

;)

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

In a word no. They will not magically return to a perfect rire over time. They will continue to ride like a washboard road. Just replace them.

Reply to
John S.

Thanks everyone.

I know I "shoulda known" but well... it appears I'm learning this one the hard way.

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

The cupping that exists will continue to "creep" around the tire. IN other words, the current high spots will wear down, but not symmetrically so that the highest spots will slowly march around the tire. It won't ever get back to a normal wear pattern, although it might get slightly better than it is. Worst yet, it will continue to bounce the wheels, putting a lot of wear on your new suspension components.

Or you could put 'em on the drive axle and do a few NASCAR/IRL style victory burnouts to "round 'em down."

Reply to
Steve

lol. As tempting as that sounds, I don't think the 109hp of my 2.5L is up to the task.

I am going to replace the shocks and buy four new tires. These are Sam's Club Goodyear Wrangler ATD2s. I received them as a gift from a well-meaning and (at the time) kind and caring (now ex-) girlfriend, who was concerned about my OEM Firestone Wilderness ATs. The Firestones were great (recall bullshit aside) and I they were replaced at 89K miles. They would have made it to 100K for sure, but were dry- rotten all to hell.

I would normally just go to a real tire shop, but since someone else was buying the tires out of the kindness of her now black and evil heart, I accepted the gift of four new tires. Unfortunately these Wranglers are complete garbage in just about every way that a tire can be. I also hate that they can only be balanced or rotated by Sam's Club- they explicitly state that if anyone else touches them the warranty is void.

So... anyone got any experience with Dayton tires? They're made by Firestone, right?

Thanks

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

Do some figure 8 burn outs with those cupped tires.Smoke em! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Probably not ;-)

I've never had a Goodyear tire that I could stand. They're a huge tire company and sell bazillions, so *somebody* has to like them, but every time I've had a Goodyear tire, I've replaced it with a similar class of tire from another brand that has been cheaper and better in every way.

Tire company ownership is about as complicated as auto manufacturer ownership these days, and I have no idea bout Dayton. Firestone itself is owned by Bridgestone now.

Reply to
Steve

To each his own. Some years ago I bought the best Firestones I could get for my Renault Alliance, and they were so bad after the Goodyears that shipped with the car that I put the 48,000-mile Goodyears back within 100 miles. (More accurately, split them between the drive wheels of two Alliances and put the slippery, noisy, bouncy, crappy Firestones on the rear.)

Nothing but Goodyears for me since.

Got a friend who prefers Michelin, but he won't admit he's had more blowouts than a man should have. (I once had one on an unknown brand tire of unknown mileage/usage on my 1960 Pontiac.)

Reply to
clifto

ot ever wear back to normal, rubber is rubber.Those

Does anyone still do this? I would have no idea where to go if I actually wanted to have this done.

nate

Reply to
N8N

So went to a real tire shop. I bought 4 new Monroe Reflex shocks, and

4 new Dayton Timberline tires. My truck sure seems to drive differently. The most noticeable difference is that the stopping distance is much shorter now. I guess that means the old shocks were letting the wheels bounce around waaay too much.

However, at low speeds I'm noticing a really intense "jiggling" sensation. It seems to settle down quite a bit at highway speeds, but around the 30-to-40 range it feels like I'm driving on a badly washboarded road.

Could it be that the shocks are so new and stiff that the tires themselves are compressing and bouncing excessively at each bump? If that is the case, the shocks will 'loosen up' in a couple hundred miles and all will be well, right?

An interesting thing, is that even at 35psi these tires look really low in the front.

I'm trying to find a nice, smooth, lonely road to drive along at different speeds, but around here all the roads are still wrecked by the snowplow.

Thanks.

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

Does anyone actually shave tires anymore, save for race-centric places that will take DOT-legal race tires down to "race depth" for you? I don't know that I've ever seen that service offered at any normal tire store.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tire Rack has been doing it in the past. I guess they still do. Siping is done at some Discount Tire places.

If they were mine, and they still were safe to use, I might move them to the back wheels so I wouldnt feel it too much. I am near fanatical about keeping good tires on a car.

Reply to
hls