Used four cylinder Mercedes Benz Diesel engine.

I bought the engine from J.C.Whitney Company back in the 1970s.The engine dates back to the 1960s.I paid $350.00 for the engine and I bought a new bell houshing and new clutch plarts and a new starter motor and a second hand transmission and a few other new parts soon after I bought the engine.I figure I have at least $865.00 invested in the engine and those engines are worth considerably more money nowadays.

The engine has been sitting in my shed since I bought it.I haven't started it up since the 1980s.At least two local area guys say the engine will have to be completely taken apart/torn down and new gaskets, blah blah blah, before the engine should be started up again.I say, Baloney to that! I think all I would need to do is change the oil and oil filter and fuel filter and remove the glow plugs and put some oil or diesel fuel in the cylinders to lube them up a little bit and replace the glow plugs and hook up two 12 volt batteries (it has a 24 volt starter motor) and see what it will do.I realize I would probally have to work out any air bubbles in the fuel system.I can hang a little fuel tank above the engine with some wire and let gravity feed the injection system.I don't think that would do any harm/damage to the engine, would it? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

They are wrong. If the shed has protected it from the weather then standard restart from long unused storage conditions apply.

Reply to
Brent P

Actually, my big old shed in my back yard where my MB diesel engine (plus two Ford Model T engines) is stored is in really bad condition.I am in the process now of cleaning out the shed and then I will tear it down.But, the Mercedes Benz engine has stayed dry all these years.I have my 1914 Ford Model T car stored in my shed too.I am going to enclose a trailer I have in my back yard and store my Ford Model T car inside of the trailer.I have a lot of Ford Model T wheels stored inside of an enclosed leanto I added to the back of my house back in the 1970s.I think there is enough room in there for both of my Ford Model T engines and my Mercedes Benz diesel engine too.When I get time enough, I am going to see if my Mercedes Benz engine will start and run ok. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

With all due respect, this engine is old, and its condition is not really well known.

As I mentioned before, it could make a great powerplant for an emergency generator. This is something that has interested me since Katrina and Reta (my ex wife's name, and similar temperament) blew through here some years ago.

As far as it having increased in value, I doubt that seriously.

You can put it on Ebay and see what you can get.

Reply to
HLS

maybe put a big wrench on the jesus nut to make sure its not siezed up with the glow plugs out after you shoot some oil into the combustion chambers. It actually probably isn't siezed, because diesel fuel has lubricating qualities. I would be more concerned about your model T engines being seized. If it's seized then tear it down. Don't try to start it.

Reply to
boxing

Unless you are going to use it for something just leave it be. Cranking one up the first time is hella hard on the rings with the rust that will have accumulated over the years. That was a decent engine so it would probably be ok, but no sense causing all that wear just to cover it back up again for another 20 years.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I want to sell my MB 4 cylinder diesel engine.J.C.Whitney Company used to sell second hand/used engines.J.C.Whitney checked the used engines out thouroughly to be sure they were in tip top condition before they put them up for sale, I believe there isn't anything wrong with my MB diesel engine other than it has been sitting up for about 30 years.I do believe the engine and the new parts I bought and put on the engine are worth more nowadays than in the 1970s.I paid about $140.00 (I think I paid about that much) just for the new starter motor back in the

1970s.How much money does a new starter motor like that cost now?

Some old cars and old car parts are worth a lot more money now than they were worth back in the 1970s.I paid a guy in Sioux Falls,South Dakota $1,800.00 for my 1914 Ford Model T Runabout Roadster Car, that was in November 1971.I remove the spark plugs and I put a little bit of oil in the cylinders and the starts right up as easy as pie.I own a 1920s Ford Model T chassis.The engine is in good running condition.I paid $240.00 for the chassis back in the 1970s.As an example, take a look at what T Model car parts are worth in the classifieds section at Model T Ford Club of America.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Reply to
mr158912

The transmission has a hub on the tail shaft, for bolting up to a drive shaft.I can wrap a few old rags around the hub and use one of my long pipe wrenches and see if the engine will turn over, after I first put some fresh diesel fuel or oil into the cylinders and let it sit like that for a while.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that engine.I have read stories before about people who hooked up a good battery and fresh gas to Model A and Model T Fords and similar old cars which have been sitting in a barn or garge or out in a field for many years and sometimes those old engines start right up.

Jay Leno recently bought an old Duesenberg car which dates back to the

1930s or 1940s.That car had been sitting up in a lady's garage for many decades.They hooked up a good battery and fresh gas and that old car started right on up.Of course, the old transmission seals and some other old seals and gaskets had dried out and the car was leaking fluids all over the floor. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin