WTB: M4MED Carburetor for 1986 Chevy G10 van - 4.3l engine with auto.

I am looking for a high quality replacement carburetor for my 1986 Chevy G10 van. The van has a 4.3l V6 engine with overdrive automatic transmission. The current carb is a modem M4MED Quadrajet that has been apart too many times to count and still doesn't work right. I don't have any faith left that I can get it working at this point.

I will even entertain a used, unrebuild carb just so I can check for performance differences with my carb, if the price were right and it was working when pulled of the intake. Unfortunately these things just never show up at the local auto wrecking yard.

Rochester part number is either 17086044 or 17086048. (I'll verify which the next time I'm under the hood.)

I have no preferences for replacement, be it Holley or Rochester or Edelbrock, but it must be GOOD and be a match for my current stock setup. If there are changes that I need to make to accomodate the new carb I expect to be given details on just what needs to be done... For example, if the replacement carb does not have an electric "dual capacity pump" solenoid I want to know what to do with the left over harness and how this change will affect drivability, etc.

I'm not trying to be overly picky, I just want to know that when I'm told "it should work" that "it WILL work". I've been burned a few times before with "pretty close" replacement parts. Carbs have sooooo many variations that I want to eliminate any chance that the new carb won't do the best job that it can.

I'm located in Calgary, AB, Canada so shipping is a concern.

If you've got something to offer or a comment, please reply here or via email at " public @ csd . ca "

Reply to
Noozer

The quadrajet is a better carb then your potential replacements. You'd be better off to find a qualified shop to rebuild it properly even if you have to ship it somewhere. Of the potential replacements you listed, the only one I would want to use would be an edlebrook. Holley's are crap.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A quadrajunk is a better choice than holley in your opinion? Haven't worked on many of them have you?

To the OP, try

does great work with rochesters, and despite being a performance shop, can do a stock rebuild at a reasonable price for you. They're located in New York.

Reply to
51_racing

Yes, I've rebuilt a few, no big deal. Also had some new holley's and most didn't last a year, some not even a month before something went wrong with them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher