01 Sienna engine light on, vacum switch valve then oxygen sensor

my 01 Sienna last month showed engine light on, went to dealer to fix and been told code P0446 need replace by pass vacum switch valve. cost

300 and good for 3 weeks and shows light on again. from Google chat tried to tighten the gas cap and 3 days later light off but only good for 2 days; went to dealer again, this time read (P0183?) is oxygen sensor need replacedm, 400! but seems to me they just read a code and then guess/try to fix with replacing part but never show what is wrong with old part. I refused the fix this time casue I may simply pay 300 per month to lease one. never know next month which code will show up. question and help need here: is it normal that replace VSV or Oxgen sensor like routine oil change (affortable at least) ? does Toyota cover to fix emission related problem if my car failed to emission test? dose anybody ask Toyota for recall about these engine light on triggered by emission related part? is this only Toyota Sienna problem or it is generic issue.

thanks

Reply to
henry

P0446 means that there is a malfunction in the Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit. This could be the result of overfilling the fuel tank.

P0183 has nothing to do with the oxygen sensor. P0183 means Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High Input

There are other codes for oxygen sensor troubles and guessing the code is just a waste of time. You will need to write down the trouble code to get an informed response to your question.

It depends on how the vehicle was maintained, its age, and mileage.

Check your warranty manual for emissions warranty. Certain components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles from the date of first use. I don't think the oxygen sensor or vacuum switching valve are covered though.

No manufacturer will recall vehicles just because a few vehicles had emissions related parts failures. If a lot off vehicles experience the same failure, then the manufacturer may issue a recall.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
henry

The sensor in the exhaust pipe right after the catalytic converter is the O2 sensor.

A competent technican can measure the signal coming from the O2 sensor and tell whether it is functioning properly or not.

As far as the person who claims only 10% of O2 sensors really needing change, that explanation is a little off. Most O2 sensors that are changed may be bad, but a bad O2 sensor may be the symptom, not the cause.

Reply to
Ray O