1994 ford explorer check engine light on and then some....

Most of you will beleive this, however i am still trying to deal with it ... I bought a 1994 ford explorer 3 weeks ago runs beautifully ( or was running beautifully) , i paid 2700 for it from a private owner everything was fine til a few days ago it was running rough. i took it to a repair shop (pepboys) they checked the plugs and told me that the 2nd spark plug was fouling out really bad and that i would need a whole new motor or a rebuild however, i was looking at a thread on

and it said in older explorers that if you are getting oil in your middle ( its a

6cyl 4.0) spark plugs you should change the seals. i know this is a costly job in some ways but it doesnt mean i should have to rebuild an engine does it? also....since i bought the truck i havent had the check engine light on however and it has been running the same once pep boys changed the spark plugs the check engine light goes on then off intermittently between miles i havent a clue...can anyone she some light on what i should do? and is there anyway i can get the check engine memory erased so the light goes off?
Reply to
Djcueball

You can extract the computer codes yourself on this vehicle. I have a

94 explorer with 160,000 miles. Here is the l>Most of you will beleive this, however i am still trying to deal with it ...

Never Forget

AbitRip

I was getting Check Engine light and pinging at highway speeds. The computer code told my mechanic to replace oxy sensors. After new O2 sensors problems still existed.

I cleaned the MAF sensor with carb cleaner and it fixed everything!

That is untill the next thing went wrong. Just yesterday the frigging clutch cable snapped and I had to be towed. Old Explorers are BAD BAD BAD.

- TS

Reply to
Trailswipe

Gee, what do you want for a vehicle with 160,000 miles on the clock. I had the same problem with the MAP sensor. Turns out there was a crack in the MAP sensor hose to the intake manifold. I fixed it, works well.

These little pains are STILL CHEAPER than new truck payments. And while I may have to repair items now and then, the truck is paid for.

Reply to
Richard Ray