1997 Toyota Camry makes a vibrating sound near the Power...

...steering belt. I have tightened the serpentine drive belt but that does seem to fix the problem. Is the Power Steering belt to blame? If so, what is the easiest way to tighten it. This is my wife's car and when we had the timing belt replaced, the drive and PS belts were also replaced. The sound was gone then for a long while. But it started when the belts were about 6 months old. When its cold, the sound seems to go away for about 10 seconds until the belt or something that is making the noise has had a few revs and then the sound begins. Please help. Thanks

stony

Reply to
cox

It is difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose a sound or vibration without experiencing it firsthand. A loose belt will usually make a squealing sound. A belt that is too tight can ruin bearings on the power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, and idler pulley and even damage the pulleys.

Check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir because if it is low, the pump can get noisy, especially when cold.

Other possible causes are bad or loose engine and/or transmission mounts.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm not sure if anyone will see my response here but I'll give it a try anyway...

I'm having the exact issue with my '90 Celica. I've been hearing this vibration noise whenever I come to start my car and after popping the hood, it seems to be coming from the power steering reservoir and/or pump. When I lightly push down on the cap of the power steering fluid reservoir, the vibration completely stops. I was thinking that something might be loose but I can't seem to find what it was.

Any ideas >

Try gently bending the ears on the power steering reservoir or cap so that the cap fits more tightly. Also look at the power steering hoses coming from the pump to make sure they are not coming in contact with anything.

Reply to
Ray O