1998 Avalon ?

I found a one owner 98 Avalon at a local dealer with 100,700 miles, mostly hiway miles. I found the previous owners name on a gas bill and they told me the car never ever had any problems. It was rear ended once, just some rear body damage. They never had any suspension work done nor did they have the timing belt replaced. I drove the car and it seemed OK with a little noise but no thumping from the front end. What does a car with a 100,000 need and how far can I expect it to go without major problems with the engine, transmission, rear end, exhaust and air conditioner? tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in news:4A12e.4317$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

I have a 2000 Avalon and it requires a timing belt at 90,000 miles. If it is the same on the 98 I would get that done immediately (experience speaking here). I would also replace all the fluids and belts, maybe have the A/C checked, check the struts and so on. These Toyotas don't wear out easily. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Henry Kolesnik wrote the following on 3/28/2005 7:46 PM:

I keep seeing recommendations to have the timing belt replaced at 90K.

However, the '97 and '98 maintenance guides say that a timing belt replacement, among other things, is ONLY required at 90K in cases where the vehicle is PRIMARILY operated in "Special Operating Conditions", defined as:

Special Operating Conditions:

  1. Towing a trailer or using a camper or cartop carrier.
  2. Repeated short trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.
  3. Extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use, such as delivery, taxi, or patrol car.
  4. Operating on rough, muddy, or saltcovered roads.
  5. Operating on unpaved or dusty roads.

It also states: "If you only OCCASIONALLY operate your vehicle under these conditions, it is NOT necessary to perform the additional maintenance items."

When my 99 Sienna had 90K service, the dealer insisted this car needed new timing belt even though I pointed out both the owner's manual and Toyota web site stated that replacing timing belt at 100K. Dealer just wants to make money and will try everything they can to steal money from any one.

Another example, when I took my wife's new 05 HL for an express lube after first 5K miles at local dealer, the dealer insisted this new car need $50 minor service and warn me that the tires will not be covered if they are not rotated at dealer. Why do I want to spend another $25 for all the visual check up and tires rotation while this car is almost brand new? Worst of all, they can not even finish the express lube in 30 minutes. Do you think they can finish the minor service in an hour which is not guaranteed?

Reply to
Guy

Reply to
Allen L.