2012 RAV 4 2WD

Been looking at a RAV 4 2WD 4 cyl base model on sale for the Victoria long weekend at a local Toyota dealer.

Anyone have anything bad/good to say about this model? I know it's at the end of a production and due for a model change very soon, if not next year. I was looking to get a vehicle with little more ground clearance and more (higher) cargo space than my Corolla.

Off the bat I was a little dissapointed with the advertised milage at 24 mpg combined city/highway. I was hoping the 4 cylinder model could do a little better than that. The next model is supposed to get a Tesla motor option, but that will be BIG $.

Reply to
homepc

A friend of mine has a RAV4 and he was disappointed in the excessive road noise. He says the radio is almost unusable.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

We have three of them in the family. I think the 24 mpg might be a tad lower than reality (depending on driving style). My SO claims Her's is a little better than 24, more like 26 (but she still thinks it is not good enough). I've seen it hit the high 20's on trips up and down I-95 at 70+ mph, even when loaded with three or four passengers and luggage. The front tires seem to wear rapidly - at least for my SO's and older sister's RAV4s. Wind and road noise are greater than I am used to, but neither my SO nor my older Sister complain (but then they used to drive a Chrysler minivan and rolling piece of crap Civic). My younger sister admits her's is noiser than her old Escape, but then she says it is not that bad. The RAV4s were quieter than the Honda CRV we road tested with my Mother (she ended up buying a Highlander which is much qieter than the RAV4 of the CRV). My biggest compalint is the driving position. If you are tall / large you might find it uncomfortable. The controls (radio, heater, cruise control) were designed by a drunk monkey, but you get used to them eventually (not that they ever seem reasonable). I hate the externally mounted spare tire, but at least it is full sized.

On the other hand, all three RAV4 have been dead solid reliable. Worst problem is the wacko cruise control of my SO's RAV4. It is unusable if you want to drive a steady 60 with the AC on. This doesn't seem to afflict my youner Sister's V6 model. My older sister has never complained about hers, but then she might never drive 60. The cars have lots of interior room and decent standard equipment. And being a Toyota they will hold their resale value. I might not think a RAV4 is the best vehicle in it's class, but it is unlikely you'll regret buying one. I guess I'd summarize it as an exteremely relaible, well assemblied but mediocre and somewhat odd design - typical Toyota. If you like Toyotas then you'll be happy.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White