4Runner - Nav screen shows "snow" when backing up

2004 Toyota 4Runner. I have an intermittent problem with the navigation screen. Usually, when backing up the GPS screen changes to show a view of the camera on the back of the truck. Now on an intermittent basis, the picture is all snow. Loose wire? Some days, it works fine.

Of course the vehicle just went out of warranty!

Any suggestions?

Thanks much, Mark

Reply to
4score

I would search and see if I could find a TSB on this. It might still be covered if there is a known problem.

I would also call the dealer. They might be able to arrange for Toyota to cover this under the warranty, particularly if you use their service department or are a repeat costumer.

Chances are it's just a loose wire at the camera or the end that goes into the display.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Of course the vehicle just went out of warranty!

And why should that surprise you? I'm beginning to think the useful life of a vehicle is "three years or 36 thousand miles, whichever comes first". For a car to develop problems in warranty is an OOPS.

Reply to
mack

Actually, my car didn't develop any problems near the end of the warranty (before or after it went out).

Most cars don't.

And most cars last far longer than their warranty.

The only exception that I know of is Hyundai. Some dealers add a lifetime power-train warranty to the car (really, it is an insurance policy that kicks in after the vehicles have 100,000 mi, if it is the original owner). In this case, the vehicle is always covered by the warranty, as long as the original owner still owns it (and it is a power-train problem).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Make sure the connection to the camera is not loose and the wires where they pass from the hatch to the body are not pinched or chafed.

Reply to
Ray O