88-92 Supra MKIII Owners? THis does NOT look like fun!

Trying to get access to the spark plugs. I have the air inlet tubes off, have removed the bolts and part of the bracing for the metal part of the intake. So far, so good. But I can see there's one bolt on the intake I'm going to need a "Universal Joint" type extension for. Anything else? I can't SEE the bolt on the other side...how the hell do I get to it?

Also, I have leaking valve cover gaskets, so I want to replace those since I'm going to have 1/3 of the top of the engine off...any tips, hints or suggestions?

In other words....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Might be to late but just leave the throttle body bolts alone and remove both parts at the plenum chamber. There should be 4 bolts, 2 nuts and a couple brackets.

A shop vac works for sucking all the oil and crud that's around the plugs and BE SURE TO USE lock tight on all the head cover screws or they will not stay tight.

One other thing I learned the hard way is: make sure the head cover #3 (center piece) has a water tight seal.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I took the TB out...seemed easier, all in all...

Yeah, I'm going to make up a 'double boiler' using an old mayonnaise jar so I'm not sucking oil into the vac. I was thinking Lok-Tite or Stainless bolts.

Found this out the first time I washed the engine, with 20 minutes to go before the shop closed, and it took 35 to start the car...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A bucket of hot water with a little laundry detergent sucked into the shop-vac did a good/quick job of cleaning the vac for me. 8)

Every time I have had any oil leak it was from not using loc-tite on those head cover screws. There only @ 20 inch pounds to rubber so without it they get loose.

Oh ya, except one time wrenching on the heater hose bracket knocked the oil galley plug its bolted into loose (check those plugs if you have a mystery oil leaking on the exaust pipe) and it took me forever to figure it out.

I ended up taking mine back apart to suck out the water (lake) trapped under the center cover for #3&4 because it was still wet after trying to dry it out with the engine running for 3 hours in the driveway.

That SOB is submersible now though. 8)

BTW: That would also be the only possible abuse related cause for my blown head gasket. It was the only time it ran out of tune, (ruff) no cooling issues, no other driver, nothing loose, warped, (caught it early) worn whatsoever. grrrrrrrrrrr.

Reply to
Danny G.

Please explain further...this sounds about right...

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are three big oil gally plugs that are inline with the spark plugs. A heater hose bracket bolts on the rear most plug for my car. Removing that bracket caused the plug to loosen up also and I did not no it was loose or a oil gally plug. (big allen head)

Anyway if they are loose it will leak oil under that trim (cover #3) that covers the spark plugs and the oil runs out the back and down the bell housing so it looks like its a valve cover leaking.

You need a big (maybe 14 or 15 mm) allen wrench if ones loose but I never found a torque spec for the three plugs.

GL Dan

Link does not show the heater hose bracket.

Danny G.

allen head)

covers the spark plugs

valve cover leaking.

found a torque spec

I haven't looked at the TSRM, yet, but I know what you're referring to. Yeah, I noticed the hose at the back off the galley but have been reluctant to remove it; isn't that the hose that goes to (or from) the heater core? No wonder they said "Drain the coolant"...

Reply to
Vash The Stampede