91 Camry.. Barely passed smog test... need suggestions to improve performance

I have a 91 Toyota Camry LE. It has automatic trans, 6 cylinders, and

180k miles. I have taken very good care of it since I purchased it in
  1. I recently measured its compression and it read 170 - 175 psi on all cylinders. I have faithfully changed oil every 3k miles since its birth.

Last week, I had my car inspected for emissions (in Texas) and I barely passed the HC portion of the test. Here are my pertinent results:

Pollutant At High Speed At Low Speed

Standard Reading Standard Reading

HC (ppm) 123 58 128 127 CO (%) .69 .16 .71 .24 CO2 (%) 14.5 14.3

NOx (ppm) 878 437 970 449

As you can see from the results above, I just passed the HC at low speed. I know that this usually means I have unburned fuel going out of my exhaust. I don't know what would cause this, especially since during the past year I have done the following:

  1. Changed plugs (platinum, Bosch plugs)
  2. Changed plug wires to Toyota OEM wires
  3. Cleaned EGR valve
  4. Changed PVC valve
  5. Changed fuel filter
  6. Changed distributor cap

Just before the emissions test, I changed oil and fuel filter. The air filter has 6k miles on it.

I checked by ear and with propance gas any possible vacuum leaks at the vacuum hose connections.

I want my vehicle to run as well as possible. I would appreciate some suggestions on what I might do next.

Reply to
Al Kondo

The O2 sensors in your exhaust manifold may be marginal. Also, next time you install spark plugs, install OEM Desno plugs instead of the Bosch plugs.

Reply to
Ray O

Additionally, there may be -nothing- wrong with the car. A marginal HC reading can easily be a catalyst that was not fully up to operating temperature ... and/or a catalyst with a lot of miles on it.

Reply to
Philip

Good point!

Reply to
Ray O

Echo comment on the Botched spark plugs! Changd the thermostate recently? It will ensure you car gets to the correct operting temperature.

Reply to
Wolfgang