93 Camry overheat

Thanks for your advice to date. When the coolant bubbles, it is a boiling hot bubble like a kettle and some steam is escaping. The top hose going into the rad is also boiling hot. I don't know what the bottom hose is like because I can't see it. There are no signs of a blown head gasket like white smoke from the tailpipe or milky engine oil or oily appearance in the coolant but the toyota mechanic says that sometimes there is a very small split that doesn't show any indicators other than overheating. I am wondering if some hoses are blocked and will ask them to try a flush next I think and check the installation of the thermostat and rad cap. Do they put on a new rad cap when you get a new rad installed?

Reply to
mary bruce

when was the last time the coolant was changed out? Could have some pockets of air in system, may need to bleed the air out system for effective coolant flow. Any visible leaks, like radiator, hose, etc. Radiator could be clogged. Take to expert for advise,

Reply to
jjjsan

"mary bruce" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

If steam is escaping from the overflow bottle, the engine is probably is overheating.

While it's true that head gasket problem may not show classic symptoms like oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, white steam from the exhaust, overheating like you're describing is not usually one of them.

Shops usually flush when replacing the radiator, it would probably be listed on the repair order. If not, then a flush would be a good next step, as well as a radiator cap and cooling system pressure test.

It is possible that the thermostat was installed upside down, which could cause the symptoms you're describing. The incorrect thermostat could also cause the symptoms.

As far as getting a new cap when the radiator is replaced, it is hit and miss. Look at the cap and see if it looks as new as the rest of the radiator.

Reply to
Ray O

Or simply a defective thermostat, even if new.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Since the OP had the work done at a dealership, the replacement t-stat was probably OEM. Although there is always a first time, I have never seen a defective t-stat right out of the box although I have seen the incorrect one installed or installed upside down.

Reply to
Ray O

I really appreciate all the input. You have given me lots of options. The Camry is in the dealership right now to see what they come up with. If they still say head gasket with no visible symptoms or proof, I will advance all of your suggestions for their consideration. I am not going to pay about $1900 for a head gasket on this car. Although I love the car and it only has 151,000kms on it, I can't see putting that additional money into it. I have already spent $700 on the problem. So maybe a Mazda 3 will have to be my option?? But I will miss the V6 and the wonderful leather upholstery and electric everything. I will let you know the solution (if any) Mary :mad:

Reply to
mary bruce

Hi Everyone: The dealership said that the system had been mostly flushed when they put in the new rad and they had put a new rad cap on at the same time. The thermostat was installed correctly they said. They said the coolant was down a gallon since I had it in two weeks ago so they said that it appears to be the head gasket. One last query : Has anyone used the thermogasket or steel head products to seal this inexpensively? Does it work? This is a last attempt before a trade in Mary

Reply to
mary bruce

mary bruce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

Ugh. That's worse than a band-aid fix and will do nothing. Nothing good, that is.

No.

Time to sell the car to a handyman. At a discount.

Reply to
TeGGeR®