A serious question. Why so many 4 Runers in general use here in Southern Cal. rather than "car based" SUV's ?

A serious question. I see many 4 Runners on the streets and highways of Southern California. Those driving them seem to be enjoying
themselves. Lots of wives going shopping and all sorts of folks.
I was forced to be in a 5th floor building room a few weeks ago, waiting for someone in th next room to come into the room I was in. While waiting, I viewed the shops below and saw all kinds of housewives skooting up in their 4 Runners and going and coming out of the stores.
I have the strong impression that very few of those driving the 4 Runners ever go "offroad". Yet in So Cal, one has to go to considerable lengths or distances to get to off-road driving conditions.
Why would they not drive "car based" SUV rather than a truck based SUV ? and particularly why would they drive the 4Runner when they have othe alternatives with "car based" SUV's.
My neighbor said that he actually preferred the truck based feeling of driving. He has a Ford Lightning truck and does not use it for traditional truck activities like hauling things around.
Could this truck based feel be relevant, or is there another set of reasons that would apply to the seeming general use of 4 Runners ?
Wilson, 8/23/2006,4:14:52 AM, wrote:

They like sitting higher and being able to see over/inside other cars.
On 23 Aug 2006 10:25:50 GMT, "badgolferman"

Obviously they could do that in a high care based SUV.
Any respones are appreciated.
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:44:14 +0000, Wilson wrote:

A 4-Runner is somewhat of an 'expensive' vehicle ($28-37,000) and known for their reliability, and are seen as a 'status symbol', so I'd be willing to bet, for about 80% of those you see have never seen even a dirt road.
This to me is just a waste of fuel. I think they tried to make a 2WD version but it didn't sell.
What REALLY irks me is when I watch the evening news, and they show someone at a filling station in an obviously Urban area and they are interviewing the owner and he or she is complaining of the high cost of gas...
BUY SOMETHING ELSE more efficient!!!!!!!
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com "badgolferman" writes:

Then there are smaller, more eco-friendly yet very mom-practical, cars they could choose from. There is a small Mercedes that has a raised seating level ("A Class"?) -- and of course the T/Prius.
Or maybe they could fit a roof opening and buy a periscope.
--
Andrew Stephenson

Hi: Interesting question! Reminds me of a marketing strategy that I read several years ago. When I was young, almost all cars were purchased by men. The common remark made about our cars was "aint she a beauty." The car was associated with the "S" curve and femine beauty.
However, in the later years, more and more vehicles were being purchased by women, and the marketing industry decided to design for that market. A product was sought that would be masculine and would appeal to the female buyer, invoking the feeling of "aint it a hunk."
The result was the SUV. Considering the utility of the mini van, its amazing that a SUV, designed for off-road, ever sold to a logical buyer living in an urban environment. Graybeard

4 Runner is not popular at OC. Most of them are driving Lexus GX470 or Cadillac Escalade.
When you consider the number of freeway shooting and police chase every day in So. Cal, I think it is reasonable that people want to drive a vehicle like a tank (Hummer H2).

wrote in message Reasonable? Only if one's impression of a Hummer is that they have bulletproof doors and windows, but in fact they're as vulnerable as the pre-armored Humvees in Iraq. And interestingly, it took our groundpounders to figure out how to achieve a measure of protection in them, using plywood and sandbags and welded in armor plate, not Army Ordnance. (Not that their protection is much better now.)

I bet the reason you see so many 4 Runners is that you are looking for them. There are so many cars on the road here your bound to see a lot of anything that catches your eye.
Considering a typical: Street is 2 - 4 lanes per direction. Freeway is over 4 lanes, plus carpool lanes per direction.
If that sounds hard to believe try my zip code (90630) at one of the online road maps sites. There are five freeways (5,91,22,405,605) less than four miles from my house.
Dan