Are you a Scion Owner?'

Do you have a Manual Transmission, and a Throttle-by-wire system?

Are you tired of that slight hesitation that can send your car into fits like a Bucking Bronco if you don't time the Clutch and the Gas *Just Right*?

Here is the solution for you! For a mere $9.95, I will tell you how to...oh...you looked on ScionLife already? Rats.

Well, here's an addendum for those who have seen the fix on ScionLife. I went out and bought some 'rubber feet', just like they said. I twisted myself into a pretzel to access the Gas pedal, and when I reached the point where the throttle pedal linkage touches the backing plate....

there was a Set Screw! I thought something was loose, but it appears to be a set screw so you can adjust the point where the Potentiometer engages. Now, it was very loose; I was able to back it off about three half-turns with one finger. My RiPpeMs went up about 25 RPM, but the hesitation was gone!

Now, am I the only one that has this set screw (have you looked?!)

Anyway, I thought I had lost my touch shifting a manual tranny (Sheesh! It's only been 9 months!!!) but I saw the problem listed on ScionLife and made the adjustment, and now the car shifts smooth as silk!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wow, never noticed any problem. Any manual car has a hard time if you don't know how to work the clutch and gas pedal right.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Well, ya know, I've only been doing it for, oh...thirty-two years now.

Never had this problem with my 'hachiroku' (not available with A/T).

258,000 miles on the original clutch. Or my '80 SR5...247,000 miles, original clutch. Or my '74 Corolla...first car I ever owned, NEW and had never driven a 4-speed before. Gee, come to think of it, I had never driven ANYTHING before...125,000 and then sold the car. With the original clutch.

...I think maybe I know what I'm doing...and I don't have to smoke clutches to prove it, either.

Come to think of it, the only transmission problem I have ever had is with my Supra...ya know, the one with the Automatic.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I wasn't doubting your experience with clutch usage. I've just never had a problem with my Scion. What year and model are you driving?

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Oh...sorry Chris...I thought you were being a wise @ss!

I have an '05 tC. If you look at

it seems there is an issue with the drive-by-wire system introducing a slight hesitation when you initially depress the gas pedal. One guy who's an engineer (and who's experieince is quite surprisingly similar to mine-Electronics, Avaition and Avionics and computers) thinks this is caused by the automatic 'calibration' of the throttle potentiometer by the ECU. I had figured, if there was an adjustment for the pot, then the hesitation could be overcome. He did too, and tried it, and the ECU compensated for it, and...hesitation.

Like I said, I've been driving 4 and 5 speeds for over 30 years, and with two of them I was SO smooth it was like driving a car with a CVT!! But the tC threw me, I didn't know what it was. But, by the extremely light feeling of the throttle, I figured it must be a d-b-w system, and then discovered I was correct.

So, in implementing the 'fix' from Scionlife (get rubber 'feet' and place them where the throttle linkage 'rests' against the stop) I found this set-screw type deal. It seems to have stopped the hesitation and I can shift now more like I'm used to!

One of the guys (the engineer, I believe) even added another spring to the trhottle to make if feel more like a cable type linkage and provide a little more 'feedback', something I notice is missing. I can hold my Supra rock-steady on any raod at any speed, but with the tC I have to keep an eye on the speedo! (But then, my Corolla GTS is a lot like this, too...it'll get you going faster than you think you should be very easily...)

What type of Scion do you have? And, have you been to Scionlife yet?

Next task...swap the Orange LEDs in the dash for blue...!!

Also, have you found how to change the radio 'equalizer' yet?

Reply to
Hachiroku

No problem. I am at times...

I drive an '06 xA. Perhaps the problem is one specific to the tC and that's why I've never had it.

I have visited Scionlife and posted a few times. Pretty nice group.

To change the amount of sound coming from the left/right speakers? On mine, it's just a matter of pushing the volume knob to toggle between options.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

If you have the ...um...SSP button(? You should on an '06) you can change the overall 'shape' of the sound. You know, the button you push for "Hear....Feel...Normal"? If you hold that for 5 seconds or so, it beeps and says "Car Type..." In your case it will say "Car Type xA". If you push the volume button you can change this. xA is a little middly sounding, xB is a little 'tinny' sounding, and tC is 'dark'. I like the tC setting, but the xB setting has more presence.

I'm trying to find a way to alter these settings further...

Also, look through the posts on Scionlife, or posts by me (leave out the Japanese characters...) and you will find a dissertation on how to change the radio's 'greeting'. I thought "Scion" in Japanese was cool, but then I made up my own that says "Turn Me UP!"

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ahh, that's pretty cool. I shall have to give it a whirl.

This I've done. It's actually covered in the audio system manual. It currently reads, "* * C & K's xA * *."

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Manual? What's that?

Honestly, I've had the car two months, and haven't even cracked the manual yet! I will, when the weather gets too bad to monkey with my Supra or do anything outside.

Maybe...

If I can... ;)

I, uh, don't suppose there *IS* anything about accessing a built-in Eq, eh?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I read in here about changing the text on the stereo but the instructions didn't work so I went looking.

Nope.

Mine was set to tC. I like the xA sound better. It's more vibrant.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Hmmm...I posted them just like I found them! It took a couple tries, but I was able to get it to work. When was your car built? I think the '05 and '06 had different methods, but they may have put an '05 radio into an '06. The months between October and April can be 'interesting' as far as parts are concerned.

When I used to call for parts for my Corolla GTS, they used to ask, what month was it made. April! Uh, Early April, or Late April!

Mine was made the first week after the 'change' and it is a much different car from the ones made the week before! (Um, of course, the parts in mine are MORE EXPENSIVE!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where do I check to ascertain month?

I tried 3 or 4 times on the instructions. No go. They were different than the ones in the manual.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Drove a throttle-by-wire italian budget thing a while back. That was like there was some sort of elastic pedal with momentum. Press....nothing...nothing...revs.... engage clutch a little...ease off gas a little ...revs still rising ease off gas a little more... revs still....no revs gone, engine stall.

UGHHHHH to throttle by wire and emissions. At least top end cars get TBW right.

Reply to
Coyoteboy