Avalon not MP3 ( 10 yrs old) capable ?

My wife's new 2007 Avalon has this 5 CD disc changer. I just tried it this morning. It works but only on regular CD's but not on ones with MP3 tracks.

It about blew my mind. My Ford Ranger even does that!

Her manual covers 3 different models of audio systems but that doesn't seem to matter on this issue -- none of them mention MP3.

Does this bother anyone but me? Yesterday, July 14, 2007, the headlines screamed, "MP3 is ten years old today".

Len Miller

Reply to
Fatfreek

Try something before writing the thing off as hopeless. Burn a CD at a slower speed. My home & car stereos will play discs burned at 48X, but two other devices won't play them unless they were burned at 16X. Obviously, this won't help as far as the discs you already have, but for future ones...

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dunno.. I just got around to getting CD in the car, much less MP3... So overall, it doesn't mean much to me.. My stock corolla player will not play mp3's, but it's no real biggie as I just burn them off to a disk using the "standard" player format.. Course, that means less music per MB, but life's a ...

That's goofy.. The write speed shouldn't have any bearing at all in theory. Leads me to think you may be writing some errors at the higher speeds. Might be the brand of disk too.. My DVD burner doesn't get along with cheap DVD's... It'll usually bomb out and tell you, but I've had some that burned to completion, and would play, but have obvious errors on playback. As far as the OP, I doubt it supports mp3.. Most of the stock units don't. It'll say so in the book if it does.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Might sound goofy to you, but the observation is factual, perfect and inarguable.

By the way, we have to differentiate here between two different disc burning processes, and it may help explain the problem the OP's having. I use Nero to burn CDs. On its menu, I choose "Make a Music CD", and then I select the songs I want on the disc. It doesn't matter whether they're WMA or mp3 format, or a mix of both. The discs work in the home & car stereos (a factory unit in a 2002 Tacoma). The onscreen "hint" says "Make a regular Audio CD that'll play in (whatever)".

There's another option called "Make an mp3 CD", which says it's intended for devices that can play (can you guess?) mp3 CDs. How the two processes are different, I have no idea. But, the second one will create a CD that plays in NOTHING I own except my computer. The first process creates CDs that play in at least some devices.

The OP may want to pay closer attention to the options in his burning software.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Be sure to try more than one menu choice in Nero. See my other message.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Joe,

That's worth a try. I, too, use Nero.

FWIW, those discs were created some 5 years ago for my portable RioVolt while I was in the workforce (prior to retirement).

Interestingly, they not only play in my brand new Ranger they play in both our DVD set top players.

Thanks for the tip.

Len

Reply to
Fatfreek

The onscreen "hint" says "Make a regular

Thats the one that *should* play in anything. It uses a totally different format than the "mp3" version or whatever. And the songs take up normal length as far as data.. IE: like a commercial CD. In theory, they should be capable of higher quality, but of course that also depends on the source.. Converting a mp3 to "standard" will not improve things.. Can't get a rabbit from a carrot.. :/

Thats the weird part.. Normally the first option *should* play in anything. The second option should play in "MP3 capable" players, *and* your puter. This includes mp3 capable DVD players made for TV use. So you have weirdness at two angles.. :/ BTW, I believe you.. I'm sure you are not making this up... I've seen weirder things happen. BTW, of all the disks I've made for "standard CD" format, not a single one has failed to play in a standard player. I don't make very many "mp3" disks, as the only player I have that supports it is my sony VCR/DVD combo player. It's the only player I have that will read mp3's and jpg's directly. BTW, I use Ulead software most of the time. I have some version of Nero, but haven't used it much. I torch off a lot more DVD's than I do audio CD's. I record loads of movies off the cable, which I edit all the commercials out, and then burn to disk. I have 100's and 100's of DVD's. burned. I get backlogged on the editing too.. It's become a PIA due to the boredom of it. Takes time to render also... So I had to buy another 500 gig drive the other day, just to keep up with my backlogged movies.. I now have 740 gigs total...3 drives, and one DVD burner.. That means all my EIDE drive slots are full now.. :( MK

Reply to
nm5k

The two things they won't play in are a music practice device from Tascam, and my son's Sony boom box, which is quite old. Still makes no sense, except that both these devices are pretty cheap.

To add to the mystery, if I choose "Make a music CD" and use a rewritable disc, it'll play in the computer and the home stereo (Sony CD player), but not the car, where "one use" CDs play fine.

Oh well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have a 2007 Limited and it will not play MP3. Don't waste your time. None of the stock Avalon CD players will. Doesn't have Bluetooth either. I had to install an aftermarket unit that SE Toyota puts into their Avalons as an option and it works well.

Yes, it bothers me a little that the "Flagship" of the line is so "entertainment" technically backward. But what a nice driving car!!!! And I got 31.5 mpg on my last trip using premium gasoline. Don't know what it would be using regular; never tried.

Reply to
Plan9

There is a device called a SoundLinq by Vaistech.

Reply to
satmech

Ben,

Thanks for saving me much wasted time in trying to make this work.

Yes, it is a great driving car, though.

Len

Reply to
Fatfreek

"MP3 disks" are just data disks containing nothing but MP3 files. The reason that CD-R and CD-RW don't work in some players is that they don't reflect back 100% of the laser light so there isn't enough left to be detected. CD-R is 40-70% reflected back and CD-RW is 15-25%. The reason that they don't reflect back 100% like a stamped commercial CD is that some portion of the laser power has to be absorbed to generate the heat to form the pits while they are being burned.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:r9hni.31516$Fc.1257@attbi_s21...

Commercial CDs are stamped???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes they are stamped/pressed see the wiki article:

Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:Rorni.14595$Xa3.7785@attbi_s22...

Interesting. That explains why they're flat.

:-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Flat is where it's at. Tomes