Toyota takes 1Q world sales lead from General Motors

Toyota takes 1Q world sales lead from General Motors

DETROIT (AP) -- Toyota has taken the global automotive sales lead from General Motors, selling 2.41 million vehicles to GM's 2.25 million during the first three months of the year.

GM said Wednesday its first-quarter sales dropped across the globe by less than 1 percent, but Toyota said its sales were up 2.7 percent during the January-March period.

ADVERTISEMENT Toyota Motor Corp., Japan's top automaker, said its global sales rose on the back of steady demand in Asia and strong demand in Europe.

General Motors Corp. barely won the global sales race with Toyota last year. But Toyota overtook GM as the world's top automaker as measured by global vehicle production in 2007.

GM said it posted record sales in three of its four regions, but a 10 percent drop in North America pulled down the overall numbers. Sales were up 8 percent outside of North America, the Detroit automaker said.

A record 64 percent of GM's sales in the latest quarter came from outside the United States.

"While the challenges of the U.S. economy continue to put pressure on the automotive industry there, we saw nearly 20 percent growth in the Latin America, Africa and Middle East, and 6 percent growth in the Asia Pacific region," John Middlebrook, GM vice president of global sales, said in a statement.

GM sold roughly 2.27 million vehicles worldwide in the first quarter of

2007.

Mike DiGiovanni, the company's executive director of global markets and industry analysis, said Toyota outsold GM in the first quarter of last year, too, yet GM was able to retake the lead by the end of the year.

He said the company is more focused on turning around its North American operations and becoming profitable worldwide than it is on beating Toyota.

"We obviously want to win, and we'd like to be No. 1 in sales at the end of the year," he said. "But really our focus right now is on profitable, sustainable growth across the world."

There may not be any relief in the U.S., though, in the near-term.

DiGiovanni said the company now is thinking second-quarter sales will be worse than the first quarter, largely because of rising gasoline prices. But he said the fundamentals are in place for a recovery in the second half of the year.

"This is clearly a headwind that we didn't anticipate to be at this level, so that's factored into our thinking as well," he told reporters and industry analysts on a conference call.

DiGiovanni said gasoline prices can't be predicted, but GM is preparing for increases.

"It's affected by so many factors, both political, societal, tangible in terms of what the actual physical reserves in the ground are and the cost to get at them. It's affected by refineries. It's affected by pipelines. It's affected by anything that can go wrong in the whole chain. And now it's affected by speculation, which is driving part of it. So I do not think this is something you can forecast," he said.

But DiGiovanni said GM does not use a "lower-bound" forecast anymore, and it had raised its internal forecast aggressively.

With new cars and crossover vehicles already out or coming this year, DiGiovanni said the company is well positioned to capture the market as it continues to shift away from trucks and sport utility vehicles.

"Our portfolio is moving in the direction the market is moving," he said. "Part of that's luck and part of that's planning."

Toyota, meanwhile, said its worldwide production expanded 7 percent from a year earlier to 2.54 million vehicles.

Toyota said output of popular, fuel-efficient small cars such as the Corolla model grew strongly in China, while production of pickup trucks rose steadily in Thailand during the quarter.

Some analysts say it's only a matter of time before Toyota -- which built its business in the decades after World War II by imitating American automakers -- overtakes GM in terms of annual global sales as well as production.

GM shares rose 62 cents, or 3 percent, to $21.13, in midday trading Wednesday while Toyota fell 56 cents, or 0.56 percent, to $100.

In the Japanese fiscal year through March 2008, Toyota's global output rose 6.4 percent from a year earlier to 9.66 million vehicles.

Honda Motor Co., Japan's No. 2 automaker, said its global production rose 4.5 percent from a year ago to 1.02 million vehicles in the January-March quarter.

Nissan Motor Co. said its global output rose 9.4 percent from a year ago to 950,878 vehicles during the quarter.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Does that include all the recalled vehicles too? Toyota is also #1 there.

Reply to
80 Knight

All-in-all, I'd say it has turned out to be a nice day for one Jim Higgins.Nice job there , Jimbo. Probably been waiting patiently for a while to make this post. Meanwhile, I lost in the office pool by 12 minutes as to the exact time you would post this here.

-
Reply to
coachrose13

You forget that,as far as recalls go, "Toyota takes care of the problem."

Kinda funny how that, if this were indeed true, then the number of recalls should DECREASE!

Reply to
coachrose13

Motors

Perhaps we could work out a deal :-))

Reply to
Jim Higgins
***********************************

I can understand bashing someone badmouthing GM when not deserved, but like it or not, he posted real facts. Rather that get upset over reality, do something about it to change people's perception of US made cars or pressure the car makers to make any needed changes.

-
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, that includes recalled vehicles too. Toyota, unlike GM, recalls vehicles that they didn't build right so they can be fixed on Toyota's dime. GM just says screw the customer, let them pay for the repair.

Reply to
Mike

Yup. When Toyota issues a recall, they are praised for "doing the right thing" (even if it takes them being forced to issue the recall). When GM issues a recall, "they build shit". You are a true, typical Toyo nut. You keep your JapCrap, and let people with brains drive our GM's.

Reply to
80 Knight

That's just it, GM doesn't issue recalls because they don't want to fix their mistakes, it's cheaper to let the customer pay for it. You are the typical GM nut job that thinks GM can do no wrong and you keep buying their products regardless of the problems GM won't admit to. Just because I praise Toyota for fixing their mistakes does not make me a Toyota fan, I just wish GM would step up to the plate and admit to and fix some of their mistakes instead of making the customer pay for them. One good example is the leaking intake gaskets on the 3.1 engines, that has been going on for what, ten years or better ? Now GM has a class action law suit against them and the only ones who will profit from that are the attorneys, but GM will still end up paying anyhow. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend these problems don't exist but if you read the complaints here they are legitimate problems that GM won't take care of. Why do you think GM is struggling to stay afloat ?

Reply to
Mike

I will be the first to admit the intake fiasco is total bullshit. GM should be paying for each and every repair. As for GM and there recalls, they have recently recalled all 3.8L supercharged engines in Grand Prix's and Regal's dating from 1997 and up, due to an oil leak. You think what you want. You buy what you want. But GM isn't "struggling to say afloat", and don't be fooled into thinking they are.

Reply to
80 Knight

What that article actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand vehicles worldwide for THREE months. Toyota also out sold GM in 2007 for a number of months but at the end of the year GM outsold Toyota word wide. It is like believing "my team" won the game because they are ahead at the end of the fist half LOL

Toyota may indeed outsell GM worldwide by the end of the year because GM does not compete in all of the same market around the world. GM does not build the same type of midget cars and trucks around the world that the Japanese build

All-in-all, I'd say it has turned out to be a nice day for one Jim Higgins.Nice job there , Jimbo. Probably been waiting patiently for a while to make this post. Meanwhile, I lost in the office pool by 12 minutes as to the exact time you would post this here.

-
Reply to
Mike hunt

rticle actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand

FWIW GM is closing down plants and fighting the UAW in order to be able to cut costs. GM is losing money hand over fist. It is a fashinating study of how not to run a company. It is interesting that GM is doing ok outside the US. They are better off closing down the US operations. The question is when they will spin the US operations off. It will then be interesting to see how the two companies will do. GMJekyll vs GMHyde. Following the slow death of GM is like being on a safari and seing an elephant under attach by lions. The Elephant has fallen on one knee now.

Reply to
Gosi

article actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand

Rick Wagoner got paid $14.4m for =9107 which is more money than the top

9 executives of Toyota, combined. It is $39,452.05 per day (including weekends) The rats are taking as much with them as they can from the sinking ship. How many cars does GM need to fool onto its customers every day just to pay one stupid guy who is rapidly running the company to the ground? Actually GM is not making any money on the cars. GM is losing money on every car so the money to pay the top rats is taken from shareholders.
Reply to
Gosi

I DID try to change people's perception of US made cars. I tried to bomb Consumer Reports headquarters, but my defective, Toyota-made bomb was suddenly recalled, but I am happy that at least they did "take care of me".

Reply to
coachrose13

Let's see, here. Toyota now sells more vehicles than GM does, and RECALLS more vechicles that it sells! They must make a helluva lot of cars that "they didn't build right!" Myself, I'll just continue to buy GM, and not worry about having my vehicle recalled to begin with.

Reply to
coachrose13

..

at article actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand

It is quite informative to look at the trends in Detroit. It is now the poorest city in the US. It reached its peak in 1950 and has been declining ever since. It had 1.8 million people 1950 and is down to 900.000 now and decline predicted for the next decades.

Reply to
Gosi

m...

that article actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand

GM's $3.250.000.000 first quarter financial loss

Selling off pieces of what was once the largest and most profitable corporation

How many sellable pieces are left?

Reply to
Gosi

com...

t that article actually says is Toyota out sold GM by a few thousand

GMAC lost $589.000.000 during the first quarter of 2008 If GMAC or should I say when GMAC goes belly up then that could start a wave of GM dealer bankruptcies and ultimately GM

GM is slowing down production a lot but still the inventories are growing. Looks like the speed of the downward spiral is increasing

Reply to
Gosi

Can you honestly tell me it would be good for America if GM went bankrupt? Are you that much of an idiot? Oh, and stop replying to your own posts you stuipd f*ck.

Reply to
80 Knight

My thoughts about this sniveling little shit exactly.

Does he even wonder how many people are employed directly or indirectly by GM? And those are a bunch of good paying manufacturing jobs too.

Reply to
Scott