Boiling Brake Fluid

Drove the Supra today, and on the way home I noticed that smell you get when a caliper is stuck. Seems the slider is stuck and operates properly somketimes and not at others. When I pulled into the store to get a cup of coffee the thing was 'Smokin'!

I tapped the brakes to see if it would free things up and the pedal was softer than usual. The brakes on this car are HARD; I suspect it is need of a flushing (and a brake service...) since the pedal is so hard. After sucking down one cup and getting another (in an effort to let things cool a bit before the last mile) some of the hardness had returned to the brake pedal.

I suppose, since it's going to be a nice day tomorrow, i'd better pull the caliper and try to free the slider.

My game plan is to yank the caliper and try to press or force the slider out, and then run through the hole with a drill of the same size, or emery cloth or sandpaper. Thoughts?

Even if i mess it up, a new one is a whole $51...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

When sliders stick, they stick forever until you fix it. That's rust at work, son.

You might also have a sticking caliper piston, which means a rebuild (fun!).

Vise Grips on the end. Wiggle and pull (push). In Kanada I have to live with this as a yearly ritual.

Can I move to California now? Excessive Mexicans are preferable to excessive snow, believe me.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I've already removed the caliper from the rotor once (but not from the car...) and tried to unstick the slider with (ugh) a hammer and lots of penetrating oil. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it slides reluctantly.

You sure about that, Teg?

Just think, I have had some really nice Toyotas, and if I lived in So. Cal, I'd STILL have them!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Paging TeGGer, Please pick up the 'Canadian Rust' Colored Courtesy Phone...

He's mentioned in the past that cleaning up those brake slider pin bolts is a waste of your time and effort - just buy new ones.

I'll bet they're yellow irridite or cadmium plated (or something else slightly exotic) and once the plating is gone they'll rust like crazy no matter what you do. And near the brakes, grease is out.

I'm glad I don't live in rust country. ;-) It's nice living where you regularly see 40-year-old-plus cars being used as daily drivers, and they're not in imminent danger of the body splitting in two.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I wouldn't use a drill bit. Try wrapping emery cloth around a smaller diameter bolt and running it through. Use emery cloth on the slider bolt and when re-lubing, use anti-seize or wheel bearing grease. Don't bother with lithium grease - it will just melt and run off.

While you're under there, I'd give some serious thought about flushing out the old brake fluid.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

My drummer suggested the same thing with the emery cloth. Seems to ne the way to go.

Yeah, I think this is a given, also...

Reply to
hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

Do you have the kind where there's a metal sleeve surrounded by a rubber sleeve, with the whole works inside a hole in the caliper body?

Well, Philip tells me otherwise, so...

Yeah. I'd probably still have my '75 Corolla.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Derald wrote in news:wLDEe.3295$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That's Charles Pisano.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks!

Reply to
Derald

No, this time it wasn't Charles, it was me!

My name is VASH THE STAMPEDE!! Forgive the lack of warning, but it's time for my daily massacre! If you do not believe I am the real thing, take a good look at me and start freaking out!! I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call!

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Trueno.GTS:

Are you any relation to Steve Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Not at all...

Reply to