Camry Impression after Trip

07 LE Camry 4 Spd Auto

Well, the Camry performed well on a 2,400 mile trip we just cocluded (to Tulsa, OK to see the buried Belvedere which was great by the way). Anyhow, my only real complaint is this baby seems to me to be under powered. I tried to maintain 80 mph on highway and freeway roads. When climbing, this thing constantly shifts down from 4th to 3rd to 2nd. It sounds like: Hmmmmmm... then Rrrrrrrr.... then WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... It cruises at 2,500 rpm at 80 in 4th, jumps to 3,500 in 2nd and screams up to 5,000 in 2nd. Got pretty annoying after awhile. On level roads like we have around here (Arizona) it performs very well. I've had four other Camrys over the years but they were all 5 spd manuals. Man, I miss my six cynlinder Avalon. Anyhow, with that exception, the car performed very well. Didn't use any oil.

Here's a link to some photos of the Belvedere. She suffered under that wet Oklahoma ground for 50 years but remains intact. I saved a few photos as a slideshow (haven't done this before so I'll cover myself with a few individual photos too). jor

SLIDESHOW

IMAGES [IMG]

jor

The 07 is a 5spd A/T. Are you in cruise control while doing 80? how many passengers? I had the same experience with my 07 but I also felt that on other cars that I rented during long trips (a freestyle with 4 adults and 2 kids no luggage and on a 300 with 3 adults and 2 kids + luggage). Not too bad I guess, because most of the cars driving the same direction slowed down during the climb and nobody really stands out speeding on the climb. But of course a 6yl camry will be more powerful than the 4

Reply to
EdV

5 speed? Yea, now I see that. The selector has a 4-D indication but I see they are two different positions. So it was shifting from 5th to 4th to 3rd. Anyhow, yes, I was using cruise control. Just my wife and I with a little luggage. jor
Reply to
jor

On Jun 19, 4:52 pm, jor wrote:

I think it's more the cruise than the tranny.. My corolla does that when going up a fairly steep grade with the cruise on. It will downshift twice sometimes, which seems to be overkill to me, but thats what it does.. Now, if I'm not in cruise, it rarely does that, or if it does, it will usually just shift down one gear. What I do with the cruise on is to manually give it the gas slightly ahead of time, and that way it won't usually do it.. Like I say, it seems to be a signal from the cruise saying, "hey, punch the gas, I'm slowing down", and don't waste time about it!! When that happens going up a grade, I can turn the cruise off, and it will usually instantly shift back to higher gears. That heavy punch in throttle could be part of what makes the tranny think it should downshift. If the cruise is set at say 70, and you hit a steep grade, if you go slightly faster than 70, it won't happen. It'll cruise right up the grade in O/D, unless it really senses it needs to downshift to keep from lugging. So like I say, it seems to be more induced from the cruise, than the tranny itself wanting to do it. It will rarely do that with the cruise off, and if it does, it's usually just one gear down, instead of two. Course, my corolla is a 4 speed A/T, not a five.. Anyway, it bugs the heck out of me when it does that, but I've found ways to get around it, so it doesn't do it much. IE: going up a grade, manually gas it, so the cruise doesn't end up the signal to do it. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Thanks, MK. I think you are absolutely correct. I tried driving (and maintaining 80 mph) without the cruise and didn't have the problem. I'll take your suggestion and will thus avoid the jet engine-like scream of the four cylinder. jor

Reply to
jor

It seems to me that Toyota tunes its gear-selection algorithms strangely biased towards downshifting. My automatic Rav4 downshifts in situations where I would not begin to consider downshifting my stick Rav4. They'r both

00's.
Reply to
DH

Glad it worked out.. Other than that, the cruise control is actually pretty good and tight. It holds speed pretty close, and will climb grades on the interstate pretty well on it's own, as long as they aren't too steep. You'll get to where you can recognize the grade level where you need to manually give it gas so the cruise thinks it's speeding, or at speed and doesn't give any throttle. I'll bump it to 71 or 72 on a 70 cruise set going up a hill, and rarely have the problem.. The cruise thinks it needs to slow down... :) I use the cruise almost all the time. Even on slow streets if they are fairly long. It's always on on the interstates.. But my foot is usually ready if I see a steep grade coming up.. I'll start to slowly override the cruise with my foot till I get over the hump. MK

Reply to
nm5k

I have a 5-speed manual in my V6 Ford Contour. The cruise holds the speed very closely, even going uphill. Usually, the speed going uphill is around 60 mph (55 mph speed limit; usually just under 70 mph on interestates). The hills are fairly steep, steeper than what is on interstates. I guess this is an advantage of manual transmissions.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

SLIDESHOW

Dang...2+2=987.... I just realized you are probably the same Jor as over at Fordification... Small planet... To the ones that are in the dark, that's a 67-72 ford truck forum.. IE: "bumpside".. :/ I've got a 68 F-250... A 74 F-100 too.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Ha ha... got me! Nice to see you over here with the Toyota maniacs. I have a 67 and a 68, both F-100s. You and I are probably the only Fordification guys on UseNet. Most people anymore don't even know what it is. jor

Reply to
jor