Camry Squeal

Probably a simple question, and I'm just making sure I know what it is. I have a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE V6 (3.0L) with 105,000 miles. On occasion, I notice when I'm going around 30-40MPH a fairly loud shriek/squeal from the passenger side. I think it's a belt, but since the vehicle is moving, I can't check. When I accelerate a little bit, the squeal stops. I'm assuming it's probably the alternator belt, correct? I just bought the car a few months ago, but supposedly the alternator's fairly new, which would make me think the belt couldn't be too bad, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Reply to
Travis King

Just because the alternator was replaced does not necessarily mean that the belt that drives the alternator was replaced. With the engine off, inspect the belt for shiny spots or glazing, cracks or missing chunks from the belt, especially the ribbed underside, and depress the belt in the largest span between 2 pulleys. You should not be able to depress the belt more than about an inch and a half. If you can depress the belt more than that, it is too loose. If the belt it loose, tighten it so that you can only depress about 3/4 to 1 inch, taking care not to over-tighten the belt. If the belt is over-tightened, it can ruin the alternator bearings.

Reply to
Ray O