Estimate for rear brakes

Since you guys had a lot of helpful suggestions about the air conditioner problem I'm having (which I thought might be due to mechanic error), I thought I'd ask for opinions on something else.

Again, I have a '97 Corolla.

The rear brakes need to be replaced. I had some money problems a few years, and I've been getting out of debt, so I have to admit that I put off doing a bunch of maintenance work. However, it's also true that the kind of brakes I have don't give any warning when the pads are getting low. There's no squeaky noise. All of a sudden I noticed there was a scraping sounds, like metal on metal.

So I took it to the mechanic (same one as before) and they checked out the rear brakes - yes, they definitely need work. Their estimate was close to $500 for the work. This just the rear brakes. I've never paid that much for one set of brakes, usually it's about half that. I'm sure prices go up, but double seems a bit extreme.

I'm just asking whether that sounds like a reasonable estimate. I'm in the SF Bay area, btw, in case locale makes a difference. It's possible they have to replace the drum, so that might be why it's so expensive.

Thanks!

Reply to
bastXXXette

If I were given a $500 estimate, I'd get another estimate from a dealer or a brake shop that does lots of fleet work, pays its mechanics a lot, and doesn't advertise much.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

A brake job isn't that tough. Get your estimate and a list of what needs fixing or replacing. Then go to auto parts store to see cost of materials.

Depending on what's wrong, it's probably no more than 1-3 hours of time plus parts.

If you get stuck, there are always people to ask and books to read.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

I think that is prettty darn high! A friend just has a complete brake job on his old pickup including new rear drums and a couple of wheel cylinders for a total of $568. I think you can do better. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

The SF Bay area has pretty high labor rates, so the price doesn't surprise me.

You can get new OEM shoes and drums for less than half of that, and aftermarket parts for about a quarter of that and do the job yourself. Get the instructions online from

Ray O