Idle problems

I have a 92 Camry XLE V6, I just got the motor mounts fixed but the mechanic adjusted the Idle wrong. It now idles at 250 when it normally idles at 500. It will die on me every time I stop at a stop light or stop sign. I was hoping you could tell me how I can adjust that or if I need to take it back and have the guy fix it so that it doesn't keep dying on. Thank you.

Reply to
dragonqueen16

========

500 rpm? Wow, that's low idle. The '06 Camry LE 4-cylinder I drive usually idles no lower than about 800 rpm, if the dash dial is accurate. Maybe 750.
Reply to
Built_Well

That is low, and probably below spec. However the more cylinders you have the lower you can make the engine idle without stalling - an old Packard V-8 for example idles happily at 450 RPM. (mild cam without a lot of overlap.)

I have noticed that idle speeds have been *increasing* over the years, possibly for emissions reasons (idle is very dirty when you have a performance oriented cam) - having been stuck behind a few Mustang GT's in traffic I'd estimate their idle speed at 800-900 RPM based on the exhaust note.

nate

(whose Studebaker idles about 650 RPM, and probably spews out all sorts of unburned hydrocarbons at that speed - love that cam lope!)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't know if idle adjustment is even possible on that car, but don't let someone turn any throttle plate stop screw since it's meant only to keep the throttle from scraping the bore, not set the idle. I have a feeling your mechanic forgot to reconnect the electrical cable or a vacuum hose for the idle speed control valve S/he is responsible for restoring proper operation, even if another mechanic does the work.

Reply to
manny

Idle speed is not adjustable in your car. Check the idle air control to make sure it moves freely and is not gummed up; check to make sure the air filter is not clogged; check to make sure there are no cracks in the black plastic snorkel between the air filter housing and throttle body, and check for vacuum leaks.

Reply to
Ray O