Model Year .vs Mileage???

Which is more important when looking at used Highlanders? Some are low mileage and 2 or 3 years older. Some are newer with high mileage.

My thought is that rubber seals and gaskets age quickly and need replacement in older cars. That is the arguement for a newer higher mileage vehicle. But, engines and transmissions also wear out with mileage.

What to do? What to do?

Thank you

Reply to
s_landa

It is generally a lot less expensive to replace rubber seals and gaskets than engines and transmissions, and 2 or 3 years will not make a huge difference. Low mileage is the way to go.

Reply to
Ray O

An important point about the engine to consider would be the possibility of oil gelling, which was a problem with earlier models where service schedules were not adhered to.

Reply to
tww

How long to plan to keep the highlander?

I don't know, engines/transmissions don't seem to wear out anymore, I never had any engine/transmission problems with any car I ever owned, but maybe that is just luck, rust, on the other hand, I had many problems with, so mileage on a used car is not an issue with me unless it over 200,000 or something. In the rust belt it is especially important to get a used car with the least amount of winters under its belt.

Reply to
bungalow_steve