Never owned a van before. Some opinions?

I've never owned a van before. thinking abt buying one so as to travel and sleep in it, haul around bicycles, etc

Any opinions on your van and what the experience has been like? Fuel efficiency, etc?

Reply to
me

I have a 2000 Sienna and am pleased with it in general except for the gas mileage and seat removal. I get 17 MPH all around and 23 MPH highway. The seats can't be removed without taking out the rear floor mats.

Reply to
badgolferman

I see

Thanks for reply

I had hoped that I could find a van that would get

25mpg.

Is that impossible in any brand/model?

Reply to
me

Seems the Honda Odyssey gets over 25 on HWY... I can't find any that meet 25 in the city.

http://www.fuelec>

Reply to
mrsteveo

I'm not sure my van has the typical mileage of other Toyota vans. I feel it is too low and it might be due for a tuneup. Still, 25 MPH all around would be pushing it. Perhaps one of those smaller Mazda vans would be in that ballpark.

Reply to
badgolferman

On long trips that should be possible. Probably not around town though.

The '06 2WD Toyota Sienna is rated at 19/26 The '06 EX-L Honda Odyssey (with i-vtec engine) is rated at 20/28.

If you'll consider an SUV body style, the '06 4-cyl 2WD Highlander is rated at 22/27.

Reply to
someone

I get 25 to 28 MPG on a trip with my 04 Sienna. Roomy, good ride and handles like a sports car.....well almost like a sports car. Great van.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

siennaclub.org is saying that a hybrid sienna is on the way. It would be close to the lexus rx400h mileage which is closer to 30 MPG all around. So maybe waiting would be best bet for you. Since the sienna is built on the lexus rx330 frame, I think both weigh the same, so those numbers would not change much.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Really?!

I would have thought a SUV..... any SUV.... to have worse fuel efficiency than any van

Again.... having never owned a van I don't know much abt them. I've just entertained the idea of getting one lately tho.

My current vehicle...2000 Mazda Protege sedan.... is just so limited in what I can do. Its pretty much good at only hauling people and that's it!

Reply to
me

Very interesting

Reply to
me

We own a Landcruiser ('98) 3lt TD manual and it gets 25/28 and my brother owns a hilux surf (newer model, same engine with an automatic) and he gets 24 doing almost anything from town to motorway. Fits 4 bikes stripped of wheels or 3 kiteboards, 5 kites and a full set of surfing equipment. Comfy too, all the usual car mod-cons.

Coyoteboy

Hell yes...I have an old beat up Corolla that will do that, easy... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The Sienna has a 3.3 or 3.5L V6. The Highlander is available with a 2.4L I4; that's probably a large part of the reason it does better on the EPA test.

Reply to
DH

I thought of you when I saw the OPs question. I remembered that you'd reported very good fuel economy on your Sienna. I'm still impressed and surprised that it gets 28mpg on the highway. I don't recall that I asked before; what sort of tires do you use and what pressure do you have them set to?

Reply to
DH

You might give some thought to a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V. They are probably going to give you better fuel economy than a minivan and you could use a hitch-mounted Yakima rack like this:

to carry bikes. Of course, you could get hitch or trunk-lid bike rack for all kinds of smaller vehicles and get better fuel economy than you would with a minivan. You could load bikes and so forth on a small, lightweight trailer, too, if you've got a hitch.

Don't know about sleeping inside a Rav4 or CR-V but then I wouldn't particularly want to sleep in a minivan, either. I like my tent!

If you buy a vehicle to satisfy your most extreme occasional needs, you're going to end up spending more and getting less fuel economy. If you can find some ways to compromise or dial back on your requirements, you'll save a lot of money.

Reply to
DH

Dang! I have an AWD 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager and get 25 combined!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Speak American!!! ;) The Land-Barge Landcruiser? They make a model they don't sell in the US; we only get the HUGE one!

As far as a Hilux Surf, the American translation is 4-Runner...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ah I see

Reply to
me

Understood

Actually I could just rent a van when needed I suppose

Reply to
me

The Estima Hybrid van is already available in Japan. The June 19, 2006 issue of Automotive News had an article about how BMW, Daimler-Chrysler, and GM were collaborating on a two-mode transmission for light trucks and luxury cars that will boost fuel economy on those vehicles by 25%. Among competitor's vehicles spotted in the parking of their research area were the Toyota Estima AWD, Crown, and Prius hybrids, a Ford Escape hybrid, and a Citroen C3 with the start-stop diesel system.

Reply to
Ray O