new Prius prices

Local Toyota dealer (SF bay area) is advertising new Prius at $22999. Someone we know just bought one for around $22 grand. What gives? Didn't this car recently sell in the high 20's? Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis Leong

Base price is low 20's, so more like low-mid 20's, unless... I was looking at a couple of them on the lot (upstate NY) a month or so ago - they were listed at $26 -27K, because they were loaded w/ high end pkgs.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

What?, you think they're counterfeit?

Reply to
mark digital©

Base MSRP on a 2007 Prius is $22,175. Then, add some depending on the installed option packages (such as navigation or leather seats, or a Touring edition), port or dealer added items (like floor mats or an XM radio kit), and you'll get the high 20s.

Then there were some dealers that added an "availability surcharge" or "market adjustment" of up to $5000 just so you could buy one off of the lot (while other dealers were selling at or less than MSRP if you were willing to waitlist...) Production has finally caught up with demand, so you should see more discounts now and no more upward "market adjustments."

I remember when I bought my Prius (both of them!) that the base MSRP was only $19995... but there are far more features now that are considered standard then when I bought mine.

Reply to
mrv

Cathy F. answered:

We got ours last year for $23K, including package #1 (dealers say HE) with MP3 player, iPod plug-in, smart key, VSC, and backup camera.

I think the price has been this low for at least a year. This is why it puzzles me when people question why I'd "pay extra" for a hybrid.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

When I looked seriously at them in '04, you had to get at least the lowest pkg. add-on, just to get a rear wiper. IMO, the rear wiper should've been standard (from day 1), considering the car's a liftback!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Umm, have you priced a Corolla or Matrix lately?

Reply to
mack

Who ever said hybrid buyer were smart? Toyota dealers are not stupid, they know the environuts will pay the price so they load them up. On top of that they will steal their trade to boot LOL

There are a bunch of nicely equipped V6 cars available on the market, that will get 30 MPG, that sell for less than 24K

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Matrix is smaller, less comfortable, noisier on the highway, not as safe, and has too little luggage capacity for a family of 4.

The Corolla back seat is uncomfortable; it might be OK for toddlers and empty nesters who seldom need to sit anyone back there.

Although both are low priced, I'll admit!

Compare the Prius to a Volvo V40, which really isn't that great a car, and you'll see why the Prius seems low-priced to me.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

And the Prius comes with a good set of toys-that-aren't-toys plus nice driving manners (cue that thread about tyres, maybe ).

(Mind, I still don't know why T bothered to fit it with a casette player, on top of a 6-disk CD player. Are they still popular?)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

The cassette slot is perfect for holding MA Turnpike tickets. At least in my '03.

Reply to
mark digital©

You need E-Z Pass - or whatever it's called in MA!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Not really. I don't pay any tolls one way or another.

Reply to
mark digital©

I have to disagree.

The new Corolla back seats have plenty of room in them.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Amen to that!!!!!!

My Air Force son stationed in New Jersey has one that works all over the North East.

Very neat way to get out of the maddening crowd.

.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

?? Then what's the ticket for?

Plus, ore state's pass works in neighboring states, which is convenient. I need no toll cash to go from here to Boston. Nor do I have to wait in line at the toll booths. :-)

Cathy

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I suppose a few folks still play cassettes. For listening to Glen Campbell, Anne Murray and Lawrence Welk. I have a cassette player in my '03 Avalon, along with a 6 cd changer, and I couldn't tell you whether it works or not, because I've never played a cassette in the car!

Reply to
mack

The audio system I ordered for this car has a tape player along w//the CD player - I still had/have a slew of old tapes which I'd assumed I'd want to play. Except I think I've used the tape player maybe all of 5 times (& that's a high estimate) in the almost 3 years I've had the car.

Cathy

P.S. OT - re: another OT thread someplace: I went to B&N to buy B. Bryson's "Made in America", but it's... OOP, & not only was it not on the slef but they couldn't order it! But got it through Amazon.

Reply to
Cathy F.

Mmm, yes, I can see that. More ethnic. :-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Hope you enjoy it. I recall it being rather solid towards the end, when he seems to be crossing items off his list of Things Invented In America, but interesting nonetheless.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson