new to Toyota - What should I know about the Sienna (2006)

Hi all,

I am considering purchassing (not leasing) a new 2006 Sienna for the family. I have 4 kids, so I need a 8 passenger van (for friends, grandparents, etc...). I do not tow anything. This is basic transportation to and from school, soccer practices, etc...

I know that the Sienna is reliable, generally. But what has been, typically the main problems with the Sienna? Each minivan seems to have weak areas. For instance, I know about the gasket issue for 3.4L GMs (I have this problem on my Venture), and the transmission on the Odyssey. What is the "weak point" of the Sienna? I like to keep my cars for 8 to 10 years and I religiously follow severe "condition" maintenance schedule (I am in Canada).

Thanks all

I.c.e.

Reply to
Ice

From what I've read in this ng, the most common complaint with the Sienna seems to be the power sliding doors not working properly. Avoid the power sliding doors and you avoid the most common complaint.

Reply to
Ray O

Wait for the 2007 sienna Hybrid, then consider the 2006.

Reply to
slatt333

It is my understanding the power sliding doors were beefed up starting in 04. I've not had any problem with my 04 power sliding door.

I think the biggest complaint has been the at times harsh downshift. Toyota has had at least two reflashes of the computer, but it still persists. I drove a 06 model and it did not seem to have the harsh downshift. I have it in mine, but I have learned how to drive it and it really is not a bother.

Reply to
The always Benevolent dbu.

Why? Is it because prices of the 06 will go down?

Thanks

Reply to
Ice

My sister has an XLE that's a year old now. She's only had 1 problem with it. The rear hatch dampers went bad. So when she pressed the button to open it (since it's powered), it went all the way up and then went all the way back down again. No other complaints from her.

Reply to
Viperkiller