My L200 2001 Model dipstick has three notches two close to the endabout an inch apart but then one much higher about 5 inches above, which level do i use for toping up my oil and what are the different notches used for besides low level

So, the bottom two notches on the dipstick indicate LOW and Adequate, the one 5 inches from the top is not applicable. You can look up the infomation for your specific engine, but you can also verify this information with your local garage, or oil change location. They have an application that will tell them the precise amount of oil to place back into your vehicle. You can get the technicians there to change your oil, and verify the location on the dipstick, if you want yo be completely sure. Although, in this sitauation, I believe the top notch mark that is 5 inches up, has no function in this. The amount of oil in a typical engine is from 3.5 to 6.5 quarts, and differs largely on the displacement of the engine. I am not an auto mechanic, but I used to perform oil changes in my youth, having performed at least 250 oil changes on various model vehicles. It should be noted that any repair manual, including a HAYNES Repair manual, will also indicate this. They are typically available either online or in your local autoparts store. They cost from 30.00 to

24.99USD, and cover just about everything under the sun. They may also cover models with a cosmetic difference I.G: DSMs are typically Mitsubishis, Eagles, and Plymouth/Chrysler. So don't be afraid to get a manual that covers multiple vehicles. A good example is the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser. All three cars are mechanically identical, with the exception being the interior and styling of the vehicles. I hope I have been helpful friend, I wish you the best.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Windham

replying to Jonathan Windham, Orlando wrote: Thanks very much Jonathan I usually use the two bottom notches but just wanted the confirmation I was doing the right thing.......I'll have to check the dealers to find out about that top notch which is much higher .....thanks again.

Reply to
Orlando