News Flash Toyota recall

Toyota recalls over 418,000 vehicles Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it was recalling 418,570 vehicles globally, including some Echo and Prius models sold in the U.S., over a faulty engine part.

Reply to
edb

2001 Model Year
NeoPhyte_Rep

What manufacture has the largest number recalls so far this model year, including those several hundred thousands worldwide for defective engines? Hint; The company name begins with a 'T' Can't be Toyota they last forever ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it was recalling 418,570 vehicles globally, including some Echo and Prius models sold in the U.S., over a faulty engine part.

The faulty part is the latest in a string of problems requiring recalls by Toyota, raising doubts over whether the automaker can maintain quality standards amid booming sales.

The recall affects 268,570 vehicles sold in Japan across 12 models manufactured in 2001, including Corollas, the compact cars Vitz and Platz and the hybrid Prius, the company said in a statement submitted to Japan's Transport Ministry.

2002, 2003 and 2004 models with that same engine problem will be recalled at a later date, I presume. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've said it before and I'll say it again. At least Toyota admits their problems and fixes them, unlike the big 3.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Does this affect the 2001 Prism too?

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

The article does not mention any Prisms in the recall.

Reply to
Ray O

And they don't blame the owners...

*coughCROWNVICTORIAcoughPINTO*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Ya, in your dreams. Toyota executives are under criminal investigation in Japan, for hiding the defect on the most recent recall for EIGHT year. Teh NHTSA has also opened an investigation of Toyota ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I predict it won't go anywhere. The lawyers will make money though. When you're on the top or near the law suits fly your way. We need tort reform.

Reply to
dbu.

Except of course when Toyota tried to blame owner neglect for the sludge problem. It was not until the 'gelling' problem started to show up on cars serviced at dealerships, that the changed their tune and extended the warranty. Even that is a scam. What they did was authorize dealers to 'Clean, repair or replace as necessary' for eight years unlimited mileage. To avoid 'repairing or replacing,' dealers are cleaning engines in cars brought if for scheduled maintenance and not telling the owner the engine was cleaned under warranty and adding synthetic oil. Some may find themselves in the future with a bad engine that has exceeded the warranty because it was cleaned several times, delaying a failure.

If I had one of the car involved, and kept my cars till the wheels fall off, I would not take it to a dealer. I would make sure I sold it before eight years. That way if the engine does fail, before eight years, I could get a new engine and THEN keep it till the wheels fall off. Unless of course it is also one of the Toyotas recalled because the rear wheels could fall off. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The sharks can not operate in Japan LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Japan won't let one of their crown jewels go to waste.

Reply to
dbu.

The rate of recalls is related more to the rate of new model introductions rather than reliability, and in the 1970s there were years when 2 manufacturers with the worst reliability, Chrysler and AMC, had the lowest rates of recalls. AMC even advertised its low recall rate.

Reply to
rantonrave

Then how did Shuji Nakamura win his lawsuit in Japan against his former employer? Mr. Nakamura invented the first blue LED and blue LED laser.

Japanese actually file lawsuits at the same rate that Americans do, only Japanese courts are much more likely to reject the filings.

Reply to
rantonrave

Let us also keep in mind that if the big 3 were as committed to quality as Toyota and Honda are, there would be a hell of a lot more recalls issued by them than there have been. GM, for example, still refuses to acknowledge the serious and expensive intake manifold gasket problem on many of their V6 engins. And why hasn't Crapsler done anything about all their tranny failures (something that Honda at least acknowledged and fixed in many of their V6-powered cars)?

It's funny that Mikey accuses Toyota of hiding defects when the big 3 have been guilty of it for years.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I not doing anything of the sort, simply reporting a news story.

GM has settled the intake problem with a recall. You person problem is your used car has exceeded the mileage limit of the coverage. No manufacture warrant any product forever. Get over it and go buy a import, WBMA.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't know about that GM 3.4L gasket problem, but I thought that Chrysler has done a lot about their 4-speed automatic failures (but not necessarily enough).

I like the way Ford still maintains that its TFI ignition has never been a problem part.

But Toyota is one of the big 3. :) :(

But it doesn't matter because GM outsells Toyota, and that means they're better!

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Supposedly, failures on more recent Crapslers involve just a sensor. But earlier ones required a complete tranny replacement, and Crapsler never issued a recall for that.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Or that the stupid human trait of loyalty grinds on.

Reply to
Coyoteboy