OBD2 software

I have seen a bunch of different applications on the web but I am looking for actual users and their thoughts.

Need software that can be used on a PDA or/and laptop. Prefer USB but serial is ok. Blue tooth would be wonderful. Also something that can read wide O2 sensors. Just had to replace the one on my 99 Camry ($185).

My need for something to diagnose car ills is what brings the question up.

Thanks for responses. Dan

Reply to
Dan

You can buy a scan tool for about $100. Why reinvent the wheel, just buy the tool. You can go to AutoZone and use their tool for free if you don't want to buy your own.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Dan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you see these?

This page hsows the usage of the second one:
Might be a good idea to check that your chosen software can be upgradable to comply with Controller Access Network (CAN), which will be mandatory in all new cars as of 2008.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

have you used any of them? will it tell me or at least help me figure out what is wrong? (ie, if my O2 sensor is bad)

Reply to
Raymond

"Raymond" wrote in news:QeV2f.63$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

No, I haven't used them myself.

How do you know your O2 sensor is bad? What symptoms have you got?

If you're in the US (not California though), AutoZone will read the code for you for free.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

yes, I know autozone can read codes, but I need more data.

all I know is p0171 & P0174. and I've googled what those codes are.

I brought it to a mechanic and that's what they said was wrong. I'd like to be able to figure out myself next time

Reply to
Raymond

"Raymond" wrote in news:mWZ2f.114$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Both are "Fuel System Too Lean".

How'd they know it was the O2 sensor? Did they use laptop-type OBD-II software?

Well, laptop-type OBD-II software would certainly help there.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

My O2 sensor diagnosis

  1. Had car diagnosed at auto zone for free because the eng ck light came on. They said it was o2 sensor or MAP sensor per the codes. My wife actually took the car to Auto Zone since she works within 1/10 mile of the place. She wrote down the codes but forgot where she put the notes.

  1. I went back to the same place about 4 weeks later for a reading of the error codes. It was P1133. Auto Zone says O2 sensor at a cost of 0. I was in the area at the time and had surprised my wife with a lunch date.

  2. 2 months later I went back to a different auto Zone store about 50 miles away. Codes were P1133 and P1155. Their code system was down and they thought it was an O2 sensor.

  1. I spent some time on the web only to learn that some 99 Camrys have "narrow band O2 sensors" and others have "wide band O2 sensors". Now what do I have? Auto Zone only had narrowband sensors and neither store had any idea what a wide band sensor was. Just as a note, they are not interchangeable.

The real diagnosis: My very good friend Bob has a 99 Camry just like mine. I disconnected his O2 sensor after learning how to differentiate wide band vs narrow band sensors and measured the resistance on the terminals. I then compared his readings to mine. My O2 sensor readings showed an open circuit on all terminals. This proved to me that mine was defective.

That experience made me wish I had a method of doing some in depth testing to prove a $185 part was in fact defective before I bought it. Some testing software which could watch the operation of various sensors would prove very valuable as On Board Diagnostics become more intelligent.

  1. I ordered a wide band sensor from a local Car quest parts store. Came in a day later at which time I had to prove to them it was NOT a wide band sensor as per the notes in their system. None of the 5 sales folks had any idea what a wide band sensor was even though the sales person on the phone assured me the sensor was a wide band sensor when I ordered it.

6 Ordered a O2 sensor for a California car from car quest (seems like all California built 99 Camry cars have the wide band sensor) at a cost of $185.

  1. Part came in a day later, Installed it , disconnected the battery to clear the ck eng light and all is OK. Have had no ck eng light for over 2 weeks even after a 350 mile round trip.

Interesting, removing the ECM fuse for about 15 seconds did not clear the ck eng light.

Now you know why I am asking for opinions from people who have used OBD2 software. I have laptops and PDA's so connecting them is no issue. What I would like is the ability to gain a lot of information, resetting error codes, eng ck light, reprogramming the ECU if possible for some minor functions, watching the operation of the various sensors, etc etc etc.

Hope this info helps someone with their problems. The entire process took over 4 months. Luckly my car is not due for emissions testing until Feb 2006.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You may be interested to know that this is a known issue to Toyota. There are three TSBs having to do with those codes, and Toyota has brought out a revised Air Fuel Ratio Sensor (O2 sensor) to correct the issue.

I currently have two of those TSBs and am waiting on the third. I can forward to you if you wish.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Please post the TSB's or forward them to me.

Are their any warranty replacements? I had compared me O2 sensor against my friend Bob's because his O2 sensor was replaced 3 or 4 months earlier. His car (wife's car actually) has less then 30k miles on it; Mine has over 60k miles on it. Toyota told Bob the part isn't covered under any warranty by them. His replacement cost was over $400 at dealership.

Thank you for your information. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Federally-mandated warranty is 2yrs/24K miles for all parts except the catalytic converter, and the emissions and diagnostics computers. Those three components are warranted for eight years.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sophisticated emissions controls! And it's gonna get WORSE.

Reply to
TeGGeR®