Is it My Starter or Clutch? Please Help!!!

I have a 96 Toyota Corolla (manual transmission) and lately to start the car I have to almost push the clutch through the floor. But it shifts into the different gears with no problems. Is it the clutch or is it the starter?

Thank you very much for any help!!

Cdub131

Reply to
cdub131

I would say it is not the clutch or the starter, but likely an adjustment problem with the clutch safety switch that hooks to clutch pedal. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Is this hard to fix?

Reply to
cdub131

Naw, you just have to lie in the Driver's side door jamb, on your back, upside down, and look way up under the dash, to the top of the clutch pedal and then, with one hand holding the light, and the other hand holding a wrench on one nut, loosen the other nut and move the switch forward!

Piece of cake!

You could have a friend help you, but I'd make sure it was a girl...

And removing the driver's seat helps immensely.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not hard to do , but you must be somewhat mechanically inclined. Hachiroku told you how to do it earlier. Good luck! Scott

Reply to
zonie

Well, what I posted was the CORRECT way of doing it.

Another way, a little more temporary, is to go to Radio Shack and get some of those little rubber feet for project boxes, etc and some SuperGlue (Best glue I've run across yet is Velcro glue. It's used to hold velcro in place if you REALLY need it to stick, but it works on everything!

Dependin on the switch of course. Some of them worked by pressing the pedal to te floor, and a piece above the hing would press on the switch, others worked by getting to the end of the travel and pulling on the switch. This works for the first.

Locate the switch or the flange. Press the clutch pedal and make a note of where it hits. Put some glue on the little rubber foot and glue it to either the flange or the switch. Drive happily for 6 months-2 years or more!

Um, you'll STILL be upside down and backwards, but for a shoter amount of time with fewer hands invlolved.

Unless you LIKE cozying up under the dash with a member of the opposite sex!

OH!!! You may have to trim the rubber foot a little, so have an X-Acto handy!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Before you go through the contortions recommended by Hachiroku (they are good by the way), make sure the floor mat isn't bunched up under the clutch pedal.

Reply to
Ray O

Ya, dat too!

Reply to