OK Break's Over...

FINALLY! Something meaningful!

"Help Desk."

Hopefully THIS one won't be shipped off to India in 3-4 years! (Actually, they are coming back...paying low wages for phone answerers who then have to pass the call to a higher paid Tech Expert isn't cutting it, I guess...)

Start Monday, over what I have ever made for a wage before! (If Hamilton Statndard hadn't krapped out, I'd probably be up to about $20 an hour now, but...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Do you know how to code SQL and ASP? if so i can hire you for more than that

Reply to
Dan J.S.

LOL! If'n I knew that, I'd have PLENTY of job offers!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks, sir!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Keep that job offer open! I might need it if EDS decides to cut people.

Reply to
ma_twain

Hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

Wish they'd bring that stuff back from India.

I just had a go-around with Symantec on an AV that keeps "unactivating" itself.

Lady from India was nice enough, but her accent, those rolled R's, my hearing aid, (and that choppy satellite connection), jeez.

You know the very best way to tell if they're really in India and not just immigrants? Listen to how they give the alphabet in words. Most Americans/Canadians will do it using common names they remember quickly:

JZBP: John Zebra Bob Peter

The India people are trained in official military alphabet:

JZBP: Juliet Zulu Bravo Papa

Listen carefully next time...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I'm happy about this news. You've become one of the contributors whose postings I highlite to the top of the Articles window.

I must ask: Is/was Hamilton Standard the timepiece company?

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

HEY f***er, Your f***ing software totally f***ed up my computer. My f***ing mouse won't work! I wanna speak to your f***ing manager! I'm gonna sue!

I figured taking my f***ing mouse out of the f***ing fishbowl would help but it f***ing didn't, so it must be your f***ing program that f***ed up my computer!

Reply to
TeGGeR®

...but "zulu" doesn't mean phonetic "z", does it? "Zulu" means "the time in the zone originating at the Prime Meridian", formerly called "geenwich 'mean' time" but now called "universal time" and represented graphically -- *not* phonetically -- by the letter "Z. "Zeebra" is phonetic letter-"z". When did zeebra become zulu and why would it have? Their meanings certainly are not interchangable and confusion between a letter and a time zone can endanger a ship or aircraft and her crew. When I was in the Nav during Lying Lyndon's War -- at least in voice telephone and radio (what I did) communications -- "zulu" meant "letter-Z" *only* in direct reference to the time zone. It meant absolutely nothing else and was spoken in absolutely no other context in order to avoid any possibility of confusion. "Zulu", as well as "silence", "wait", "repeat", and "figures", was a reserved word because it had a very specific meaning within a very specific context and/or very narrow set of circumstances (for example, "repeat" means "when ready, fire a another salvo just like the last one at the same target"; "silence" means "everyone on this network except God MUST shutup and listen to me because failure to do say may sink the ship") and any other useage was inappropriate, misleading and could endanger a ship or aircraft and her crew. "Zulu" definitely was NOT the so-called "phonetic" pronunciation of the letter "Z"! To this day, I don't use "silence" and "repeat" in conversation and rarely use "wait" without following it with a spoken numeral; old habits, I guess.... For example, in any voice communication, I'd have spoken, "zeebra, echo, bravo, romeo, alpha" to spell the word but would have spoken 4PM, GMT as "time sixteenhundredzulu", period; "zeebra" and "zulu" were not interchangable. Why would that have changed? Certainly, as long as there ships at sea with guns or aircraft aloft with guns or that can be shot at, the reasons for the differentiation -- or for reserved words, in general -- remain, eh?

Reply to
Derald

Derald wrote in news:OrTcf.6945$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Wha...? Something's stuck here. Hello? Hello?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Great news... good luck!

Reply to
FanJet

Best known for the propellor on the Spirit of St. Louis, and the largest mfg of props for planes during WWII (if you wantch the History Channel or Discovery Wings, look for a red/gold 'football' on the props. That's Hamilton Standard)

We did fuel/engine controls, analog and Digital, and various control boxes for a wide range of civilian and military aircraft. Very intereting place to work.

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! That's going to be tough, as they use the same ISP as I do, so I have ready access to the News Server! ;)

(The guy I'm replacing spends a lot of his time on the Internet...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Been there, done that, got the flame retardant undies!

Man, people call you up (not qa LOT, but enough!) to bitch at YOU because their computer screwed up in the middle of a 120 sheet spread sheert, etc. I let them rant, then sooth them and solve the problem. Not tough!

When I first started at GE, my secod week, a woman called up; wanted 5 laptops, a full compliment of software on each, Targus bags, cell phones, etc etc etc. Then she says, this is for Gary Powers' team....

OK...

Who's Gary Powers?

You don't know?

I just started here...

He's the PRESIDENT of Plastics!!!

Oooooops...

When I can into work after the weekend, there was a list of ALL the wheels on everybody's desks...

Oooooops....

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks, all of you!!!

I've been out of it for a while, but I keep a couple computers at home running all kinds of software, including Linux. Linux REALLY keeps your troubleshooting skills sharp, man!

All the kudos appreciated, for sure!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I agree Hachi...congrats...and there's an aircraft propeller company named "Hamilton Standard"...were you connected with them?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thought we'd been through this before...

See my response to Brent...one of the best (certainly the best PAYING) jobs I ever had. A lot of BS and beauracracy, but they sure PAID you to put up with it!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku
Reply to
Charles Pisano