OT~India's solution for oil prices: Ban speculation by banning trading

NEW DELHI: As oil approaches the $100-a-barrel milestone, M. S. Srinivasan, India's petroleum secretary, has an unorthodox recommendation for cooling overheated prices: halt trading of crude oil on commodity exchanges.

There are "no supply constraints right now, and demand has not escalated out of control," Srinivasan said in a recent interview in his New Delhi office. Rather, trading on exchanges like the New York Mercantile Exchange, or Nymex, is contributing "enormously" to high prices, he said.

If crude was eliminated from the commodities traded on Nymex, Srinivasan predicted, the world would "see a drastic reduction in the price." The benchmark price of crude touched $98.10 on Nymex on Wednesday, a new record, before retreating to $96.37.

Srinivasan's idea is based on a widely held belief that investors are artificially driving up oil prices. Hedge funds, banks and pension funds have poured capital into oil trading in recent years, betting that demand will increase. Analysts say these bets have become self-fulfilling prophecies, helping to push prices higher.

F.H.

India has never been in my top 10 list of places to visit, but now, I want to buy this guy dinner. Finally, somebody gets it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There's a bit of a difference between free speech, and oil prices being meddled with by speculators who are in no way connected with the oil business at any level.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Exactly what was done in 1992. The media easily lead the weak-minded into believing what they want them to believe, thereby influencing elections.

Reply to
witfal

Not to take anything away from your brilliant solution to a problem, there are other problems that would probably benefit from the same kind of solution. Take, for instance, the housing market - - nightly anchor discourses on falling housing prices certainly don't help people's confidence in the stability of their most important investment - - so we have another self-fulfilling prophesy. Unfortunately, it's hard to pass a law restricting free speech, as economically destructive as that speech might be.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

I have not heard you speak up about the price of corn yet, what's your opinion about food for fuel and the speculation driving the price corn (food) up?

Reply to
dbu.

I have no interest in the subject. That is your answer. Do not ask for any other answer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom