{OT} IRS form 5498 for 2009

A couple of days ago we got a form 5498 from VALIC - looks exactly like a

1099. Thing is that this form is for 2009 but shows current value, as of 3-31. Anyone else get this form?

This is from wife's 403b rollovers nearly 2 years ago - no tax liability - no withdrawals but "This information is submitted to the IRS by the trustee---to show the fair market value"

Is this possibly the start of some fort of means test? I mean will "HE/THEY" start saying "you have x bucks so you don't need social security?

Am I paranoid or is this the start of something? We had to report this in the year we rolled it over so its not a secret from the IRS.

Reply to
ron

It's nothing new. If you've been making IRA contributions over the years, you should've seen this form before. Or, someone's stealing your mail.

"Why did I receive a Form 5498? Federal law requires TIAA-CREF to report deductible and nondeductible contributions, conversions, recharacterizations and rollovers you made in 2007 (and year 2007 contributions remitted between January 1 and April 15, 2008). These amounts are indicated on Form 5498. Form 5498 also reports the Fair Market Value (FMV) of your IRA contract(s) as of December 31, 2007."

JoeSpareBedroom

nope Joe, both Lincoln Life and Fidelity have been reporting on 1099-r including 2009 before we rolled it over early in the year. So I just can't see why its necessary to send a form for TY 2009 in June 1st of 2010.

Reply to
ron

The 1099R has a different purpose. Take a close look at both forms. If you don't SEE the difference.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

She has been making 403b contributions for 10-15 years and NEVER got anything but a 1099R - the 5498 shows fmv but why would they need that info until payouts are made (incurring tax liability) and waiting 5 months past the end of the tax year to send it?

Since I blindly trust Turbo-tax to figure it all out I don't try to keep up with it. (This isn't a commercial - but TT did good for us going thru several trust/estate settlements-got all the forms right)

Reply to
ron

- The 5498 isn't intended to report contributions to a 403b.

- Purpose: "to report deductible and nondeductible contributions, conversions, recharacterizations and rollovers you made...", but NOT to a

403b.

- Because you can make contributions until April whatever for the prior year, the form is held until that determination is made.

- FMV: No idea why

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I get them every year, too.